Sunday, November 30, 2003

I'm having a less-than mediocre day. My nose is stuffed, causing intense sinus pressure. I've been sick very often this year! I never was one to be sick! I had perfect attendance almost every year in school (6-12). No flu or virus was strong enough to tame me, but it has subdued me onto my knees frequently. Aaarch!

This frustrates me quite a bit, because since I turned of legal age, I have realized that I despise being in positions when I can possibly lose control over a situation. For example, going drinking with friends and not driving myself. I always always always (can't emphasize enough) drive myself no matter what. I just hate the fact that although the chances are slim, that I may not have a ride home, or worse, have a drunk driver take me home. I'd very much rather take my life into my own hands, thank you very much.

Although I drink often heavily(Koreans are an alcoholic breed), I always stop myself at a certain limit, because having to puke at 3 AM is not something I can control. There's always work or school early in the morning, I have to sleep (sleep deprivation causes nastiness in me), but I have to puke. I get dehydrated and I have to drink water, but drinking more water makes me vomit even further, causing further dehydration. All of this is something I can't control -- bodily functions, situations where I have no power, or abdicate power voluntarily -- all so dangerous!

My best friend can't believe that I'd drive all over the place when there's other people who are willing to do it and leave her and me to be relaxed. Going on a road trip when I'm not the one driving, will drive me insane. What if I want to go home immediately? What if I need to stop? I guess I'm just slightly psychotic that way, but ultimately, I need to have control.

Getting back to a sane-r mentality. There was a used book sale at school, and after browsing for a little while, I found two great bargains. One was Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser. I have never read anything by said Mr. Dreiser, but his work has been acclaimed as "A landmark in American literature," "mark[ing] the beginning of the naturalist movement in America." It should be a good read, right? It was only $3 -- a fourth of its original price! Great deals make me feel warm and toasty! Also, I purchased The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It is another version of King Arthur's legend. I studied the Knights of the Round Table phenomenon closely in the 9th grade -- I have already read this book, as well as Le Morte d'Arthur and The Once and Future King. I read parts of a few others, but can't remember much... my memory only goes back so far. The Mists of Avalon was a book that I always wanted to get a copy of, but was too expensive. Last week, I got it for $4 which is a bargain indeed! I have already started reading it -- the dark fogs of Tintagel has already rushed into reviving my memory.

If I can possibly recommend a book, it would be Youth in Revolt: The Journals of Nick Twisp. Now, I have raved about this book multiple times in the past, but it is simply such a fantastic read! It is a wonderful book, filled with clever humor and drama. I was recommended this book by an editor at the school paper I worked at a while back -- and needless to say, I devoured the book whole. I passed on the recommendation to my brother and bought him a copy. He doesn't enjoy reading much but he read the whole thing in a matter of days. That phenomenon for me would not be repeated until the Harry Potter series. As much as I love the Potter books, C.D. Payne's Youth in Revolt has given a far greater joy to me personally. Just great! Please go out there and get your copy today! It is $12.57 well spent, I tell you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home