Monday, May 03, 2004

NBC.com > 10.5

After seeing some initial review on Christopher Delude's Blog, I decided to see the climactic latter half of the four-hour miniseries on NBC. So I missed the collapse of the Space Needle and the Golden Gate Bridge. Watching land split apart and get filled with the ocean water was a massive scene, I can only describe it as apocalyptic. Of course I realize that this is fictional, but you know, a lot of these near-apocalyptic events happen. The aftermath of the So Cal fires of last year, for example. Seeing grey ashes fall from the sky, all day long, isn't the most heavenly scene. The last major quake, the Northridge quake brings back memories of what Mother Earth can do when she's mad. She's got potential. I also remember the scene from the film, Pearl Harbor. Ben Affleck, Josh Hartnett, and Kate Bekinsale did liven up the screen, but I can only assume that the actual event must have been uncomparably more devastating. 9-11, probably the most recent glimpse of an apocalypse (if such a thing actually exists), was all too traumatizing, even when I saw it on the news, 3000 miles away from ground zero, three hours after it's happening. I mean, who can't remember what they were doing, when they first heard about 9-11? It is like how everyone remembered where they were and what they were doing when JFK was shot, only greater.

10.5 as a film wasn't all that great. I'd give it about a 7, 7.5 at best, because it reminded me that people must always remain vigilant. Last weekend, we had warnings of possible terrorist attacks in the local shopping centers. I'm sure the warning still looms over this upcoming weekend as well, since it is Mother's Day, and it's extremely hot, which means many will be flocking to the malls for last minute gift shopping and free air conditioning. While I doubt that people will be selling Barstow beachfront properties for sale just yet, I don't doubt that during my lifetime, I will see several tragic, traumatic events, be it massive, total war (North Korea, despite its recent train explosion, is still clutching ever so tightly on the nuclear weapons, the legendary, mythical WMD), natural disaster, terrorist attacks, and so on. We may think that we are all on the verge of a nervous breakdown from all the stress and prioritizing and work and worries, but these things always remind us how capable we are, and how increasingly adaptable we are and how resourceful we are. However, we must always remember that we will forever be susceptible to these things; we will never be too above them and not be affected.

If, for any reason, we were to evacuate the west coast, or even just LA, I have to remember that all my things will be no more. I'm sure that even my beloved cat, Nabee will be lost, and I may never see her. The computer that contains my soul, too, will be no more. All my books, shoes, mp3 player, car, will all be for naught. Can I really imagine my life without these things? I mean, it's difficult to survive a weekend without internet access! Being always grateful for what I have, and cherish it... that's important.

I guess the important thing right now, at least for now, is to get Pygmalion read, because as long as California is still intact, good literature must be read.

By the way, what was that oddball commercial that was on every single commercial break about how scientists predict that SoCal will have an earthquake greater than magnitude of 6 before September 5 of this year? I think the product was quake hold-up or something. The repetition of that commercial (every 10 minutes or so!) was horrific enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home