Monday, May 03, 2004

Shane

I have a fabulous co-worker, Shane. He's been my co-worker for ages, despite the fact that we moved around several different jobs. Over the course of 5 years, we have become as close as brothers and sisters could be. We've seen each other at work practically daily for the last 5 years, and hang out quite often as well. At work, I often run into problems, minor complications, if you will. Mostly because I've goofed up, or communicated erroneously with a customer due to my insufficient Korean. Whenever that happens, Shane is always there to solve my headaches. Of course, I'd like to think that I do that in return for him.

When Shane got too drunk to get himself home, I was the one who drove him home and carried him up the stairs, and safely home. Which, is no easy feat. Imagine that you are a fragil lady (I'm not as tough as some think), trying to carry a man who is at least 4 inches taller, and approx. 20 lbs heavier, and he's drunk. Up the stairs. And when you're drunk, you don't come quietly. You go struggling, talking, laughing for no reason, wanting to sit on the ground, or even worse, go back to drinking. So in short, we got each other's back. I consider him to be my older brother, because I have none. He considers me as his younger sister, which he has none of. And we get along great. Some people even suggest that we get married. But that's gross -- exactly like marrying your brother or sister. Yuck.

Here's the climax: His birthday was yesterday, May 2nd. Which, I forgot. I was busy watching TV, reading Hamlet, studying art history, and sleeping in. I forgot. I wrote in my organizer, for last Thursday, to shop for Shane's gift. I saw that on Thursday, didn't have time, and procrastinated and put it off until the weekend, and I forgot. I knew that procrastination would come back and bite me in the ass. He's so close and dear to me, and I forgot the day he was born. And of all birthdays, it is his big 3-0. Although he doesn't like it, his life has now spanned over three decades. And it's not like I remembered this morning, either. I didn't remember, until he told me. What a bad sister/co-worker am I.

Now, I have to make up for it big time. I have to make up for the fact that I forgot his birthday, and that the gift is going to be late. Any ideas...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home