Wednesday, May 26, 2004

A Modest Proposal

A Modest Proposal

After reading old Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal," I decided to write my own modest proposal. Not about cannibalistic activities, of course, but tailored to my life. I had some ideas looming in my brain, fermenting, earlier today, but alas, I haven't had much sleep in the last week or so (final exams, you see) and my brain went ka-putz about three hours ago. As you all know, I have a bone to pick with US immigration, so that is where most of the ideas were brewing.

As the semester is finally winding down to an end, I have inevitably arrived at the land of exhaustion. After hours of blankly gazing into Swift's "Gulliver's Travels" (which, by the way, is not just a children's story -- it has deep satirical parts to it that ultimately makes it a challenging literature to consume) I was wondering why Robinson Crusoe hasn't met Friday yet. How that happened, I really can't tell. But I took a quiz today, and on a simple question regarding some of the people encountered in the reading, I was debating whether or not the story I read was Gulliver's Travels, or Robinson Crusoe. That may have been caused by my economics instructor's usage of Crusoe and Friday as examples of international trade.

My point is, that I have been long tired and my brain capacity is close to getting shut down. I am currently operating on extremely low brain power, and although I strongly believe that the human brain has an infinite capacity, that is only when it is operating under optimum levels. My brain, is running low on fuel, and is about to burn a fuse. I think another set of essays would surely short-circuit my brain, requiring all summer of relaxation to be fixed, and alas, I am never allowed such luxuries.

One of the reasons why I am so drained of all my energy is because of a hectic work week. I've spent almost all of my time at work this week talking on the phone. While gabbing on the phone has been one of my strong suits as well as hobbies, there's a distinct line between pleasure and pain. "Moderation in everything" is a phrase that comes to mind. When you have been talking non-stop that your jaw is in pain and your tongue is numb and your throat is hoarse, that's just too much.

The only uplifting moment I had was when I was notified that Monday would be an off day. I half-expected to work Memorial Day. Of course, who really gives a crap about Memorial Day, as long as it is a holiday. And holiday it is.

Just when I feel like I simply cannot take much more of academia, I have yet another assignment (this time in Art History, which is less pain than literary criticism) due tomorrow. Perhaps some women would understand me with this analogy: You just bought a fabulous pair of heels. You wear these heels, and without having broken them in, you arrive in a situation where you end up walking miles and miles. For example, you wear these shoes to the mall, thinking that you can walk more than half an hour in them. The first part of shopping is great. You're walking around, having fun, etc. However, when it is time to walk back to the car, your feet begins to feel immense pain. The pain is immeasurable; however, you still have to get back to the car. So in horrid pain, you walk. Well, that's just how I feel now. Of course, I could take off the shoes, but that would be like settling for a C in my courses. I worked too hard to settle for less than stellar grades! So I'll have to continue.

And STILL NO LETTER FROM THE NURSING DEPT! I am appalled. I will absolutely have to call them tomorrow and give them a piece of my mind.... anonymously, of course. I'm not that brave. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home