Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Where's My Blog?

I am going to pull out all my hair and scream like the horsemen of the apocalypse just arrived at my front door!

As you may know, the DSL service at home hasn't been very nice to me, and I've been trying to keep my frustration level to a minimum. I tried yoga, among other methods, to unwind and keep my anger at bay. Most of my life revolves around the WWW, and I am so lost without it.

An essay was due for last night's English class, and I had written a beautiful one, and I didn't even have to cut out chunks of it because I had written a perfect 769 words (approximately 750 words requested by instructor). It was fluid, very well connected, and I even surprised myself that after a long dull summer, I was still able to retain some skills I had honed over last semester. I fine tuned the paper, editing to make sure it would be my finest work (come on~ I was writing about Shakespeare -- It had better be my best writing, or he'll turn over in his grave!).

A few minutes before I planned to leave for class, I tried to print it out. Key word being "tried." Our last printer croaked, and my brother recently borrowed a printer from a friend, and he hadn't installed the thing on my computer, and I wasn't about to install the temporary printer when I was short on time. Our computers are networked, but for some reason, it didn't work. This had already happened two nights before with another paper I had to write, so it wasn't a surprise. I'll just do what I did that time, I told myself. I copied and pasted the essay into my e-mail, and sent it to me.

Or I tried. As luck would have it, the ISP decided to go on strike at that moment, and stopped running altogether. "AAARGH," I said. But I'm a patient woman. I'm a resilient woman. I am a resourceful woman. "Ommmmm~" I chanted in my mind, trying to keep the anger from bursting through my arteries. Blood pressure was slowly on the rise.

"I know!" A lightbulb went off in my head. How could I be so dumb? I'll just save it on disk, and hop over to my brother's computer and print it from there! Eureka! By golly, my genius common sense has saved the day!

The person who said not to count your chickens before the eggs were hatched, was right. When I popped a floppy disk in, I felt a bit weird. It didn't make that low noise that it usually did. And lo and behold, for some odd reason, my disk drive decided to go kaputz. No matter what disk I put in, my computer kept telling me to put in a disk. I wanted to kick the damned thing. Go to the happy place.... Ommmm...

By this point, there was no happy place, and no amount of Ommm-ing could help me. I was already late for class. I finally came up with the solution to just burn the file on a CD and take it to my brother's computer and print it. Finally, that worked. But I was sweating like a pig under the pressure, and I was stressed.

Today, I get into work. A little before noon, the internet starts to act up. It's not completely dead, but it's slower than dial-up. I can't do crap. A lot of my work is done with the computer, and most of that, on the web. E-mails, webpages, informations, downloads, customer service. Then it gets worse and worse. Finally, the boss decides to call SBC DSL service (which is what I also have at home). After nearly an hour of trouble-shooting, the rep transfer me to a "tier-1" rep. I suppose the tier 1 rep has more knowledge and power. Only the tier-1 rep doesn't speak English very well. After half an hour of more trouble shooting, and talking extremely slowly so that she can understand me, she finally tells me that our service is down because of an outtage. They will fix it by 9PM. Now WHY THEY COULDN'T TELL ME THAT during the first 5 minutes of the phone call, I do not know. Why they had me changing my cookie settings when services were down? I was on the verge of breaking into tears.

Now I've written this long blog entry and it probably won't even publish. Who knows. Maybe it'll get lost in cyberspace again. DRAT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home