Monday, October 13, 2003

There comes a time in one's life when it becomes absolutely imperative that you blog. Right now, is one of those times. I came back about an hour ago from a UPS location to pick up the digital camera I had ordered. The Canon Powershot S400 -- a sleek platinum camera that is compact but definitely not flimsy. It has so much functions -- I'll be buried in its manual (both the English and Spanish versions!) all week. I have already mastered the simple stuff -- the functions that constitute a point-and-shoot camera. I took about 4 pictures randomly -- one of my mom, one of my room, one of my bookcase, and one of my stuffed animal, Eeyore. Not exactly something that will hang in a museum someday, but it sufficed in allowing me to demonstrate and examine my goods at hand. Even when I zoomed in all the way, the pictures were crisp. I cannot describe it. All I know is, I took a picture of my book case from about 4-6 feet away, and when I zoom in, I can read the titles of all the books on the shelf. I can also see who signed my presidential scholars award I had received in the 6th grade(Bush, Sr.).

It was actually attempted to be delivered on Friday, but no one was home to take it. We missed the UPS guy again today, and I couldn't risk having one of the neighbors sign it and take it for us -- my brother is still missing a shipment from Gap.com. Apparently some person whose last initial is "K" has signed for it and that person has yet to have been found. Anyways, it was about 30 miles from work, and 20 miles from home. I had to take the 2 N then the 210 W, all the way into the heart of the Valley, driving over mountains and hills to get to my camera. Dusk fell swiftly in the valleys between the hills -- finally the last of the sun's rays disappeared over the mountains, and it was dark. I listened to a Clay Aiken's radio interview, but wasn't at all interested. There were more important things on my mind.

I found the UPS location hidden between some hills, and waited for my item to arrive. (I had passed the UPS truck earlier on the freeway -- I had an urge to honk from behind him so he would drive faster than the 65 perfectly-legal-miles/hr.) When I got the item, I signed for it, and I ran to my car and opened the box hastily with my keys. In my nervousness and excitement, I fumbled the keys as if I were a three year old with limited motor skills. I finally got it opened and took a look at it. It's silver-ness glowed from inside the box, blinding me. I wanted to take it out and look at it, but it was dark and I didn't want to risk dropping it or ruining it. I waited months for this, and a few more minutes were nothing.

On drive home, I blasted old blue eyes(Sinatra) while I skidded downhill at 75 mi/hr(yes, I am quite the speeder). I lowered the windows and felt the breeze caress the hair around my temples. The sparkly diamonds scattered over the hills glittered vibrantly -- most of them yellow, but peppered with some red ones and white ones. Although I am not rich enough to live in one of those specks of jewels that garnished the hills at night, I felt like one. I am going to take pictures of everything. The ubiquitous cigarette butts on the streets of Los Angeles, the bright city lights, the solemn nightfall and day break of its glorious mornings -- the gas station, the library, the schools -- my cat, my family, my work, -- the grass on the rolling hills, the full moon -- everything! If I can see it, I will record it into my precious Canon S400. I can't wait for the battery to finish charging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home