Tuesday, January 27, 2004

On my Internet Explorer, home is set to Yahoo.com. It's convenient, because I have yahoo e-mails to check, and a small box to the right shows daily headlines as they come in. Since keeping up with the news is important to me, it's beyond convenient; it's darn comfortable. It's not too big or cumbersome, it feeds me with the titles of new events, a few selection, so that during my busy work days I can still scan them and get the juiciest pieces of daily news. If I went to the LA Times, or TIME, or NY Times' websites, I would be bombarded with things big and small, and I would not be able to get just the right amount of news I need. So as Goldilock says, Yahoo! is just right.

What I've noticed in the last few months, actually, close to a year now, is the daily headline that goes something like this: "Eight killed in helicopter crash in Iraq." Or perhaps "Six U.S. troops killed in Iraq bombings." But whatever the casualties are, the feeds are coming in almost daily at a constant rate. If the lines said, "Bob Bigboy killed in Baghdad bombing," I would click to see who Bob BigBoy was. But the lines simply state just a number. Six. Four. Nine. The members of the U.S. Army has become just numbers, roman numerals. Statistics.

I'm not saying that we need to give out the names of the victims. That's privacy, and I respect that. I am saying, you can love Bush or hate Bush. You can call him Dubya, or demonstrate outside the White House. But when fellow Americans are abroad doing everything in their power to secure the homeland, to protect the home of the brave, you need to support them. You may be against the war. Heck, the entire world was against warring with Iraq. But it happened. Baghdad has already been obliterated, Saddam was captured, and we can't turn time back. The true cause that we need to be concerned about is the soldiers. True, it is their job. They knew what they were getting themselves into when they joined. But that doesn't mean that they don't deserve a news article or two about how they are carrying out orders with much courage and honor.

Similar happened decades ago during Vietnam War. The war wasn't supported by the general public. The soldiers did not come home to a fanfare as they did in the 40's. People were against the war, and that meant that they were also against the soldiers. The soldiers who return home, for however long before their return, is coming home to a downer. They are not welcomed back, because they were the tools of evil, the tools of destruction, that the American public is against. The lives they risked were all for naught, because no one is proud of what they did. Consequently, many soldiers who returned from Vietnam faced psychological distraught, and went into lifelong therapies(I am generalizing, of course).

Do what you want with Mr. Bush. But support the troops. They are flesh and bones like you and me, not some numbers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home