Thursday, January 22, 2004

Happy New Year everybody. It is the "Chinese New Year" which is based on the lunar calendar. I know we call it the "Chinese" New Year, because (being a major power country in Asia at the time) they were the ones who introduced it to the Western Civilizations. But please remember that many Eastern, Oriental, Asian (whatever you prefer to be PC) countries also utilized the Lunar Calendar and therefore celebrate New Years accordingly. Which would be today. Koreans also celebrate New Years, and it's a big thing, because the first three days are usually holidays. Many people are back at work and schools by the 4th day, but this year it fused with a weekend and it will be longer.

On New Years, Koreans eat dduk-gook (for breakfast), which is basically a soup with thin sliced rice patties in it. It's hard to describe, but it's very tasty and flavorful. It's not spicy or colorful (it's white), but it tastes the best on a cold winter morning. I already had dduk-gook on the 1st of January -- I think my mom is skipping it for the lunar New Year, because I saw her make kimchi jjigae (basically kimchi soup, but believe me, they taste like something that came from the stars above).

I think having such a big fuss over the Lunar New Year is great. Usually when I make resolutions on January 1st, they last about a week or two. But when Lunar New Year comes, I have another chance to redeem my failed attempts. Which I will try to do.

I spent the whole workday yesterday and the day before cleaning the office, that my arms are sore beyond belief. I also woke up with a severe leg cramp. Now I have a headache. What a way to start out the New Years... but I guess it's better than January 1, because I was on my supposed-deathbed, severely ill with the flu. Oh well, less than three hours left until I get to fly home~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home