Tuesday, May 04, 2004

As Always, I'm Ranting About The Weather

Weather.com says that it is only 90 F today (32 C), but it feels like somewhere in the toasty region of 95-100. I am sweating profusely, which isn't normal for me, because I don't sweat. It's not my thing. Even after a good workout, I am hardly sticky. I still have the same deodorant I purchased at the turn of the millenium. But today, I'm sticky and sweaty, and my face is beet red. Over the course of the last two to three weeks, I have burned. No longer does my skin appear of Caucasian nature. It is now closer to the vicinities of a Polynesian, perhaps Hawaiian, in color. But the real hot weather, I know, is yet to come.

What is my best friend doing these days? I don't know. We haven't spoken in like three weeks. Horrible, innit? It's her birthday in a month, so I'm hoping I won't forget that one.

Pygmalion was a much more jovial read than Cyrano de Bergerac. Cyrano was good fun too, but Pygmalion was just light hearted and easy flowing. I haven't quite finished it as I was supposed to have, but almost. Having the film, My Fair Lady on hand was definitely a great help, especially since I had so much trouble reading Eliza Doolittle's cockney accent, and all those Awww-oooahhh's. Audrey is fabulous.

Now the last portion of the semester is here. Which means all term papers, semester long projects are in need of a kick off. I have a poetry research paper on a poet.. I was thinking Sylvia Plath, or Thomas Wyatt, or e e cummings. I'll have to consult the instructor on my choices. In humanities, world mythology class, I need to write an essay on the relevance of the Aeneid and the Oddyssey to modern times. There were other choices for myths to write on, but I had to choose the longest ones! Although I had already read Beowulf, I figured that rather than write about something I hate so thoroughly (again), it would be beneficial to get two brilliant classic literatures under my belt: The Aeneid and The Oddyssey. They're epics. They're huge. A van is named after one of them. Definite must reads, if you ask me. So I'll do it. I have an essay exam for my Eng Lit class, on the literature of the Renaissance. Hamlet, Dr. Faustus, among others. Then I also have a term paper for that class, although it hasn't been assigned yet. In Art history, there is yet another project, and this one will be assigned today. I just love Greek art that I really don't want to move on to the arts of other periods. Thankfully, we are transitioning with Roman art. Romans are quite fun too. I really need to learn Latin someday. Macroeconomics is one class that isn't assigning a paper. Thank goodness! Econ class is really light hearted. I am thankful for that, because I was dreading taking econ. It seems such a concrete and severe course. But it's not. Economics isn't rigid; it's very fluid. Unfortunately, the text doesn't make it seem so. If lecture were as boring as the text, I would have just banged my head against the wall and hoped to fall into a coma. Wel, that recaps my semester so far.

It is finally May. I will receive notice of whether or not I got into the nursing program this month. I'm hoping soon. Either way, the looooooong wait is finally coming to an end. The wait is the hardest part, you know. I know even if I don't get in, I'll manage and live, but I just need some sort of divine sign that I'm going to be alright, you know? Something that will make me believe that better days await me. I don't believe in predestination or fate or gods, but sometimes, I just can't but be human. I just want something supernatural, that is above myself, and above anyone else, to say that things are going to look up. Is that really too much to ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home