Monday, May 17, 2004

Should I Become Canadian?

Should I Become Canadian?

Mr. Crawford Kilian over at Writing for the Web has suggested a Plan C for me, in regards to my immigration situation. Being Canadian, he recommended moving to Canada in case all else fails.

So my question would be, is anyone familiar with the immigration process in Canada? I know a little -- but being an uptight person who wants complete details on everything and anything, I need to do more research. The number of points to qualify for Canada immigration has been reduced to 67 points last fall, from a previously 75 points (out of 100 points). It includes things like the amount of education, if applicant is fluent in English and/or French, if they have adequate work experience (basically have adequate skills to contribute to society and work as a functional member) and so on. It's a more logical system than say -- a lottery. Lottery, which I absolutely abhor, since all the nursing programs in the area have been implementing a lottery to select nursing students from the applicant pool, and I, not being lucky enough, was never selected. US holds a greencard lottery too, which I despise.

I'm getting off track again. If such unfortunate turn of events happen that I am forced to leave my home of 16+ years, I would consider it. If possible, I would delay leaving until I grab hold of a RN license -- it would be a valuable skill that would be appreciated in most parts of the English speaking world -- Australia, Canada, the UK, etc. I'm just doing research for now, just in case.

In a thing like this that is life-altering, you can't just settle with a Plan B as back up. You're going to need a Plan C and a Plan D and possibly Plan E as well -- and I'm going to go through this with more than adequate preparation. As D-day (not certain when this day is, except that it looms closer than ever, i.e. June 2004) approaches so close, I'm going to need all the good fortune I can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home