Thursday, June 17, 2004

Best Dinner and Coffee/Tea

Best Dinner and Coffee/Tea

I came back a lil while ago from having dinner and drinks with Mr. Crawford Kilian, previously mentioned word-guru. I always shy away from meeting new people, but this was definitely an exception. There are many adjectives to describe people: intelligent, handsome, humorous, tall, curvy, brunette, chicken-legged, etc.. But my favorite kind of people can be described as "sincere." And that is how Mr. K. came across to me. He was a sincere individual. Going back to my everything-and-anything-in-life-is-like-war extendend analogy, you can say that Mr. K. is very much like a war veteran. He's lived through some incredible times and I'm sure life contains many more excitement.

One of the high moments is when he showered me with gifts. Three of his books, including one children's book, Canada's most circulated newspaper with the biggest news story of the year (Canadian election... who knew they even discussed politics there? Makes me hang my head in shame that we are so immersed in our own world to recognize others), and a Salman Rushdie book (above left). This book has been on my Amazon wish list for ages, because I have enjoyed a few of Rushdie's short stories and was dying to get my hands on one of his longer works. To say that my frugality got in the way of purchasing one on my own would be a lie; part of it is my own indolence for not getting myself to the library and borrowing a copy. I'm sure I could have requested that they get one in. But nevertheless this book was something I've terribly wanted, and he's gotten me a copy. I went speechless, and I still sort of am. I'm officially putting Dumas on hold (sorry Dumas, but you've been dead for a good two hundred years... you could wait another two weeks) and plunging into my first Rushdie novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home