Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Cocktail Soju

Cocktail Soju

About 10% of my daily traffic is from people who go on to search engines and are looking for cocktail soju recipes, especially yogurt soju. I don't think I have featured such recipes on my blog, but since so many people (a handful) have dropped in for it, I will feature it now, especially since I am a self-declared amateur soju connosseur.

Basically, all cocktail sojus can be made in three parts. One part soju, one part flavor, and one part sparkly. What I mean by that is really simple. Say you're making yogurt soju, which is great for serving to people who enjoy alcohol and yet cannot tolerate high amounts of concentrated soju. You would add one part soju, and then one part yogurt -- and I don't mean yoplait. Go to your local Korean market, and you should find packets of liquified yogurt -- often in tiny milk-carton-looking packages. Sometimes there are different flavors, such as peach yogurt, pineapple yogurt, you name it. I like the brand Epoca, as their liquid yogurts are consistent and are high quality. For the yogurt soju, now that you have the soju and the yogurt, you need a zing to it. You need to add one part of 7-up or Sprite. I usually like to add just a bit more soda to dilute it a bit, but you decide on how concentrated you want your alcohol to be. But beware of putting too much soda, as it will taste more like soda than yogurt soju. On top of this concoction, you need to add just a bit of clear syrup -- you can even make this from home -- just boil a bit of water and add a tremendous amount of sugar and supersaturate it. It looks just like syrup! And now you have your mixed drink.

For other varieties of cocktail soju, just replace the yogurt with whatever flavor you want. For apple soju, instead of yogurt, add apple juice. Instead of sprite/7-up, use apple cider (martinelli's work best!). For strawberry soju, add strawberry juice (actually, I usually like the strawberry banana kind) and instead of sprite, use strawberry soda, (I recommend Welsh) and mix well (because the strawberry juice has sediments that will stay at the bottom). And so on.

So there you go. Enjoy your cocktail soju!

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haemi,

Your yogurt soju recipe sounds great. Thanks :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home