Sunday, July 04, 2004

Feels Like July

Feels Like July

It's been oddly overcast in the AM with hazy afternoon sunshine in the PM for the last week or two. But today, no. The sun's rays are scorching, almost in celebration of Independence Day. I would love to join in on the fun and go barbeque something, but for once, I am questioning my liege. My allegiance to the US. Why? For a country that will not claim me as its own! And you know what the irony truly is? That most people, most citizens of this stinking country are out there, honestly without any regards for the value of an independent nation. How many hotdog buyers are thinking about the battles fought for the rights and freedom they enjoy today? How many red-white-blue bikini clad women on the beach think twice about what those stripes and stars mean? How many actually even know what they mean? None. They're just excited about the three-day weekend, the charcoal grilled meat, the russet potatoes, and all the pretty colors in the fireworks.

But I care. My love is real. My passions uphold the American ideology. The Statue of Liberty is my only goddess. I appreciate my freedom, my rights, and never take them for granted. I am immensely thankful for my right to speak my mind, for my right to write, for my right to happiness. Except that I don't have a right to be an American.

What does it mean to be American? For many it's just whatevers. How did you become American? I was born here. My parents were born here. I married one. Whatever. I wasn't born here, my parents weren't born here, and I'm not marrying an American at the moment. For a country originally made up purely of immigrants, you sure are haughty. Aren't you forgetting your roots?

Enough anger and ranting. I'm sure y'all are happily enjoying your day of red-white-and-blue, although y'all are regarding it more as an excuse to be commit fashion faux pas. Perhaps I should seriously consider learning French and moving to France and join them in condemning Americans and belittling Euro Disney.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home