Monday, August 16, 2004

A Not-So-Bad Monday

Work on Mondays, as you know, is always brutal. It's a rough day for me, but over time, I've somewhat gotten used to kick-offing the week with heavy-duty work -- there's nothing like a sudden rush of adrenaline that keeps me upbeat. Ok, so it's not normally that chipper. And today was no exception. However...

I came home to find the CD's I had ordered on eBay! Wynton Marsalis, who is quickly becoming a favorite, never mind that I have no clue what instrument he plays! Thanks to Yahoo!'s Launch Radio, I have gotten to know more Jazz artists, like Wynton Marsalis, Wayne Shorter and Cannonball Adderley. This is the first Jazz CD I have purchased for myself (don't ask me how I got the rest of my jazz collection -- I don't want to incriminate myself -- gasp!). I had a tingly feeling as I approached the mailbox that I'd be in for a treat. Jazz CD's are usually short -- not quite like a 13 track CD of Britney Spears (which is usually 50-60 minutes of the pop starlet who likes to play bride) -- often just 4 or 5 tracks long and 30 to 40 minutes in length. So it was no surprise that this CD also wasn't too lengthy. However, having bought them (brand new, sealed in shrink-wrap) over eBay, it was extremely cheap (I'm talking under a buck here, people!), so in addition to expanding my jazz collection, I was also getting a fabulous bargain. I was ecstatic.

Second CD that came with the order is one by Miles Davis, an all time classic favorite. This one's titled, "Rollin' & Blowin'" and it's a good mix of songs -- I haven't had time to sit and listen and observe, but I'm hoping to get to the nitty gritty of it soon enough. This one is made in the UK, so it's an import -- it was also well under a buck, in fact, well under 50 cents, so oh joy for me! You could imagine what I must have looked like when I found these deals on eBay -- "are ya friggin' kiddin' me?!?!?! $0.01 for a CD??" I have quenched my thirst for jazz at the moment -- I have two new CD's to keep me company through the commute to and from work. Now, all I need is a copy of "Ruby, My Dear" from Thelonious Monk. That's such a cool song -- I've been craving it like an addict craves crack. While I still think Miles Davis' Kind of Blue is the best, I'm also beginning to appreciate Coltrane and Monk quite a bit. Jazz is lovely. So let's hear what my brother has to say about jazz (yanked without permission from his blog, which I am prohibited from linking by my brother).

=>all that jazz there is just something about the topic of "jazz" that just really ticks me off. i am really starting to think that a lot of people don't really "enjoy" jazz. rather, they deceive themselves to think that they like jazz just because they are afraid of what others will think of them if they were to dislike jazz or not listen to it at all. here are some typical scenario... dialogues... scenario 1 person A: i like jazz person B: i don't person A: it is because you are not mature enough scenario 2 person A: i like jazz person B: i don't person A: it is because you are shallow scenario 3 person A: i like jazz person B: i don't person A: it isn't for everyone scenario 4 person A: i like jazz person B: i don't person A: it is because you are not sophisticated enough scenario 5 person A: i like jazz person B: i don't person A: grow up scenario 6 person A: i like jazz person B: i don't person A: that is too bad, jazz is the best music seriously folks... jazz... personally... it is elevator music or background music. something that you listen to while you wait for something. like when you are put on hold on the phone, waiting in line at the super market, or waiting for your turn at the dentist. sure... there are different types of "jazz" music. And yeah, i admit that some are nice to listen to. but i don't think it is something to be talked of with such "prestige". i am not saying that no one likes jazz. i am sure there are people out there who genuinely love the music and respect the art. i just feel like most of the people i talk with don't really know why they like jazz... just that they are "supposed" to like it. it is one think to like jazz and put down other people for not liking it... it is a totally different thing when the same people BRAG about the jazz they listen to. of course it doesn't "sound" like bragging, but it is. here is an example. person A: i like jazz person B: me too person A: i've been listening to jazz all my life person B: (i never asked...) well... just the way people are i guess. anyways...

So I'll just say this. You can like jazz, or you can not like jazz, or you can even hate jazz. It's just a preference in music. I'm not going to say that Nate Dogg (sp?) and Chingy are deep or not, or comment on whether or not Celine Dion should retire. It's all about opinions! Enjoy them! Express them! And be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home