Thursday, August 12, 2004

Movie Review: Riding in Cars with Boys

As stated in IMDb.com, this is an insightful, well presented drama. I thought it would suck, and the only reason I decided to pick it up was to keep me occupied during the two hours I'd be home alone (Wed & Thurs are home alone evenings for moi) and I absolutely abhor being home alone. I went to the Los Angeles public library, which is only a block away from work, and checked out two DVD's. I was pleasantly surprised.

I thought this would be a chick flick -- Drew Barrymore is a chick flick kind of a girl (50 First Dates, Charlie's Angels, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle) -- there's nothing more that I despise than a chick flick. You know, it was sort of a chick flick, but not so... chicky. It's a drama. It's a story. There's no action. There's no special effects. But it's well written, well presented -- the actors involved were good, and there were some teary moments.

I identified with the main character, not because I had a baby when I was 15 (of course I didn't, but imagine if I did -- I'd have a 9 year old running around!), but because the character suffered frustration from being stuck in one place, always hoping to get out but always finding obstacles and failure -- sounds a lot like me. After the movie, I felt all warm and fuzzy and connected, like I'm not the only one in hell. Sometimes I feel like I was on a tour guide through hell with Dante, guided by Virgil, and I wasn't quite paying attention, and the tour left without me, and I'm stuck in somewhere like the fourth circle of hell. But I have high hopes, thankfully, and that alone can make me thrive. Thank goodness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home