Monday, November 10, 2003

It was warm today. The temperature could only be described as comfortable. The sun has gone down now, and it is a bit cooler. I am having a cup of coffee. Its dark woody blend is just the thing for a hectic Monday evening. A goodway to close off any workday for that matter. It's my first coffee of the day. Lately I have been noticing odd things going on with my body -- bad things. Nothing blatant like a giant tumor growing out of my back, but subtle hints that I am not healthy. For months I have tried to reduce my intake of caffeine -- I used to drink 4-5 cups of coffee easy. I also became borderline overweight. I've long attributed my health to my youth, and now that I am getting older (yes, 23 is quite old), I have to start taking care of myself. A clean bill of health is important at any age.

So I've tried to lose about 5 lbs at least (to lower my BMI index thingi below the overweight line), and drink only about 1-2 cups of coffee. I also skip soda as often as I can resist it (but vanilla coke is oh so good~!). Hopefully I can restore my health into normal without having a doc intervene. Cuz that would hurt my bank account.

I spent the last few moments writing a recommendation to my best friend for the pharmacist that she shadowed last last summer. The pharmacist didn't speak good English, so she agreed to sign a letter drafted by my best friend. My best friend didn't want to write her own LOR, so I wrote it for her. I could actually write a real one because I was her employer for a brief period of time. I do think that even that would be conflict of interest -- I don't know how I would write a recommendation letter about her as an employee, but I can write recommendations as an excellent friend.

Speaking of excellent friends... I found out yesterday during our talk, that she doesn't read my e-mails -- she scans them. I noticed that she was not quite up to par on the details of my life -- milestones almost -- that I have clearly written to her in e-mail. She didn't know that I sold my first car. Whenever I write about changing my major, she didn't know. I am pretty sure that she doesn't know that I plan to obtain a B.A. in English, because she told me that she is looking to apply to pharmacy schools that also have nursing schools. I wanted to tell her that I am getting a B.A. in English, but I figured, why bother. I'll probably change majors in a few months, so why go through the hassle? I've vocalized my deep desire to go to med school for ages -- since I was in high school! Now, when I even mention the words "medical" and "school" in the same sentence, she cringes and says "I thought you wanted to be a nurse." Well, until recently anyways. I have decided that that was going too far, and she needs to know what my life-long dream is. So now it doesn't surprise her when I talk to her about the MCAT. I bought her a PCAT practice exam book before her PCAT, and told her that she needs to buy me a MCAT book before I take the MCAT... (I thought I'd have the advantage, because PCAT books cost about $15-$25 and MCAT books cost $40-$150) then she just blew me away by offering to pay for a MCAT course, which can cost hundreds. Although the GRE and the NCLEX-RN exams are two things that would come before the MCAT, I feel that those two I can handle on my own. But the MCAT... it's a formidable opponent, compared to the NCLEX-RN which is a "pass-or-fail" deal.

My goodness. I have just pumped out another 600 something words in about 15 minutes. I have got to visit my old editor. It's not just verbal diarrhea that I have. It's chronic verbal diarrhea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home