Tuesday, February 17, 2004

This week I finally start school! Yes, I may be just being true to my uber-geek roots here, but after spending two months of blah I really need some zings. And I can find it at school. My mind is like a sponge. I seriously absorb anything and everything I come across. I can process some heavy duty informaiton, whether it is oxidation reduction reactions, fundamentalist perspective of democracy, or following the Democratic party's Pow-wow with Kerry and Dean. Technically, I could still provide myself with much stimulation if I tried -- I could really pick up that clarinet and learn to play it, or actually open up that old Japanese text book, but being a self-starter is just so not me. I need someone to shove it down my throat, so to speak. I work well under pressure -- in fact, I probably work only under pressure. It's something I should really work on changing, because it is bad, bad, bad -- but very difficult! Anyways.

I will be taking two English classes, which can be heavenly or hellish, depending on a variety of factors. The instructor and I need not to be on the same page, but at least reading the same book. If a majority of the class is taking the class simply to complete their general education, I will probably dread going to class for the rest of the semester. Those types of classes are an exact replica of a high school class, complete with its set of class clowns, the nerd minority, the snobs who associate with the clowns, and those who try to sleep with their eyes open. Not too motivational for a learning environment -- not at all!

Sometimes the chemistry between myself and the instructor doesn't quite match up and I end up feeling ousted from the class. It may be an English class taught in the U.S., but often times the instructor and the students don't communicate in the same language. They may use the same words and diction, but somewhere in the medium, the meaning is lost. That's pretty much when the D's and F's start to appear. I hope I'm not in for that this semester! There is nothing like a bad grade in an English class that ruins the enthusiasm for the semester. Well, it is the more upper (! more upper??) English classes that the general education does not require, so I am hoping that my classmates will be not nearly as hopeless as the English 101 batch.

I am taking economics, namely, macroeconomics. I had a brief rendezvous with econ back in high school, and I did not like it one bit! All I remember is that there is no such thing as a free lunch. I'm willing to give everything another chance, and I really do think that basic knowledge in economics would be valuable for me. I honestly do believe that I have a pretty good foundation in stuff like music, history, literature, math, chemistry, and so on, but in some fields, I am just very unaquainted. In my pursuit to be a well-rounded individual, I must have basic concepts of economics etched into my brain somewhere. So that is why I am taking econ. It's a challenge, but I feel confident that I will emerge victorious.

I am taking a mythology class -- it's kind of like taking an English class, I think. It should be very interesting -- I really love reading about the different mythologies that exist, and unfortunately, since I took Spanish over Latin, I missed out on a lot of the toga-adorned gods and goddesses. I think I'll enjoy the class immensely, as well as learn a thing or two.

Art History 101. That's pretty much a G.E. class too, but I like art, I like history, I'm trying to make it as appealing as possible. It should be alright. I'm actually pretty hyped up -- I think I have an interesting array of liberal artsy courses lined up for the semester, and I should receive more than enough stimulus to awake from and keep out of this coma I seemed to have been in for the last two months!

My brain needs food~~~~

Well, aside from all that nerdy-talk, does anyone use Netscape? I downloaded netscape, but found that my page does not load at all! Neither does my brother's page, whose blog template was written by me (by hand). The background color shows up (my page is just purple) and I could hear the music clip playing, but there's nothing! No picture, no writing, no symbols... just purple blankness. Does my page only load up correctly in IE? I want to fix this once and for all, but I'm just very very stuck! Well, any info, as always, is appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home