Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Click Here to read the Report.

Yesterday morning I was driving to work, as usual, when I heard the bomb being dropped. I always listen to KIIS-FM because the morning DJ, Rick Dees, has the most pleasant voice, and his show is not too loud, not too dull, but just right. It has just the amount of excitement to wake me up in the morning, but not so much that it has me abruptly jumping out of my slumber. He's on from 5AM until 10AM, so whether I am going to school, work, or wherever, I am very likely to catch him on-air. He is charismatic -- on Tuesday (yesterday) when he announced that he will not be returning to the AM show, he made me tear up, but it wasn't the first time. The genuine sincerety in his voice can move a heart. I can understand why he became popular, and how he managed to wake up Los Angeles for 22 years. He even has a star on the walk of fame, and he is one of the best radio show hosts.

The final show and various news outlets did not provide me with much info -- no justification as to how and why he was leaving. Was he ill? Did he decide to retire? Did he get into a fight with his co-host, Ellen K? It was just said that it's been decided, and that was that. After much snooping around and researching, I have gotten the impression that the negotiation for the contract between Mr. Dees and Clear Channel (who owns many many radio stations around the U.S.), did not come to an agreement, and ultimately, Mr. Dees decided to leave. But why so suddenly? I am not sure the listener was prepared adequately to face such an uproar.

I didn't realize what this person meant to me. It was a given that I turn on the radio when I get in my car, and listen to the show. He introduced current events, made jokes, discuss personal problems, and many other things. I didn't realize that I really listened to him. He accompanied me through the commute to work and to school, and although the drive isn't so long these days, there have been times in my life when the drive to work/school in the morning was more than an hour long. He talked to me during those long boring hours, and he kept me company. The voice resonating from the radio became a friend. Sort of like an imaginary friend. He was just there.

This morning, that voice was absent. Instead there was Ryan Seacrest, the famed "metrosexual" from the American Idols show. It is assumed that he will take over Mr. Dees. I am not sure I can make that adjustment. There is this void now in my morning hours -- like I forgot to brush my teeth, or skipped the daily coffee. How I will replace it, I just do not know. There is a lesson here for me today -- that is, not to take anything for granted, appreciate everything as they come, and be thankful, and recognize it. A valuable lesson to anyone who wants to reap more joy from life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home