Wednesday, April 21, 2004

A Rose By Any Other Name?

I once had a friend named John. John is probably the plainest name ever. So while I could only call him John, he called me numerous things: Pansy, Lilac, Rose, Daffodil, Venus Fly Trap, you name it. My American name is Daisy. I guess that should be English name, rather than American. It was given to be my mom, when I was 10 (shortly after my arrival to the States). It suited me very well then -- I was a little girl (although I didn't think so at the time). Although it doesn't state that name anywhere on my records, I used the name "Daisy" as a nickname all through out my school years.

After high school, when I jumped into Koreatown to the workforce, I started to use my Korean name, Haemi, because Daisy, although it may not seem like it, is hard to pronounce for Koreans. When they do say it, it also sounds very similar to the Korean word for "pig." Not wanting to be a Korean Miss Piggy, I casted off my former label. But I always assumed that when I become citizen, I'd officially change my name to my English name, Daisy. It's a pretty name. Most Koreans name their kids after Biblical figures, so there's a plethora of Esthers and Rebecca, and Ruth. Also Jennifer. So Daisy, is pretty unique.

Lately, I've been thinking. If I were to become older, and become something more serious than a frivolous college student, would the name, Daisy, suit me? As a nurse, I think it would be alright. Nurse Daisy has a nice ring to it. Ditzy, yes, but not too bad. But if I were to become something else, which is very probable, since I am adamant that I do not want to be a nurse for a lengthy period of time, what then? If I got myself an MBA and applied for managing positions at a large firm or corporation... would my resume still seem strong and competent, despite the name Daisy? As shallow as I am, if I were a company executive and received a resume with a name like Daisy on top, I'd assume that she was some blonde (no offense!) hussy from Texas (no offense, but it's not my favorite state) whose resume got lost. First impressions are important, and names are part of that too. You wouldn't want your family physician's name to be Billy Bob Thorton, or John W. Booth.

So I've been thinking. Maybe I should just keep my Korean name. It's unique, it's short and easy to remember. It's feminine, but it doesn't sound like a name that belongs to a barnyard animal, like Daisy, which, for some reason, is always the name of some cow. But my Korean name, is currently Hae M. Lee. Or Hae Mi Lee. I've had too many people botch it up. I've been called, Hay Lee, Ha Lee, Jaime (like the Spanish name), Hai Lee, etc.. So I would probably alter the spelling to Hemi -- most people seem to spell it that way. I actually like the spelling and all, but there's two problems. Perhaps not so much problems, as they are issues.

First, the prefix hemi means half. Hemisphere, means half a sphere. So when I say that my name is Hemi -- would that in any way connotate that I am not fully competent -- that I am half, not full?

Also, recently the automobile company, Dodge, has launched advertisements stressing on the "Hemi" which is in their trucks' engines. I don't exactly know what it is, this Hemi thing. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know. But it sounds powerful. I mean, it's got to be something good for Dodge to promote it, right? From what I've seen, it appears to be something in the engine that evidently makes the truck/SUV more powerful. I'm not a fan of Dodge, and this Hemi thing has left me with mixed feelings about my name. For one thing, everytime I hear that commercial on the radio or TV, I get paranoid and feel like someone's calling me.

Evidently, I have a lot of time to think about this. If neither Daisy nor Haemi/Hemi work out, I could always name myself after someone I respect and admire, but I really don't know if Hillary, Teresa, or Lisa (Simpson) do me justice. And I hear Condoleeza is already taken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home