Thursday, May 06, 2004

NBC.com > Friends

For the second time this year, I am in mourning. Mourning for a television series. How can I express this sorrow? I guess all good things must come to an end, and while I do feel like the timing is right, I just have a hard time letting go of something that's been around for nearly half my life.

Friends started when I started high school in the 9th grade. I was a big geek at the time, even a bigger one than I am now, and even until I graduated, I didn't know what the Peach Pit was. I think perhaps that I was just too young to relate to 20-somethings at the time, but I got to love the show. The six characters embodied something that exists within everyone -- they were personas created out of common human traits, whatever they may be. For example, Joey doesn't share food, which is similar to the extremes with my social dining habits -- I'd rather order an extra side of French fries, than share what is on my plate. My inner uber-geek shares the same love for academia as Ross does. The spoiled daddy's girl who grew up to be a successful and highly independent Rachel, parallels the same coming-of-age rite of passage that I had in my late teens and early 20's. Hiding vulnerability, and finding a nitch with a sense of humor like Chandler is just a part of diurnal life. Compassionate, accepting, and yet strangely out of place, Phoebe shows that even when one feels disconnected or like an outsider, connections can be made. You can sing 'Smelly Cat' and learn to appreciate, not your best talents, but your sense of desire. Even if you make horrible music, you should, and you can, if it makes you happy. She hasn't had the 'normal' childhood experiences, which reminds me the awkward path that I am on now. Sometimes, that's just the way it is. And Monica. Those who do not share her extreme love of order, at least desire it. I know I am extremely orderly, and yet chaos looms just too close. It is as if chaos is thrown my way, so I can organize it.

I will severely miss this show. I have my doubts about the spin-off 'Joey' because I just am not sure if something could be comparable to the original. An original that was so great. That would be like trying to out-do the Roman empire.

The recent few episodes made me cry. Even more so than lame chick-flicks. Friends lived life, as we all did. They grew up, were unemployed, had Thanksgiving turkey, had relationships, had babies, got jobs, switched to second careers, moved out of one apartment and into another, got married, got divorced, adopted two babies, had a Vegas wedding... all of which, at the time, seemed like huge things that will alter life forever. Like when I didn't get into the college of my choice -- it felt like my life was over. But instead, it was just end of one era, and the beginning of the next. Now, I look back, and they are just events, life experiences that happened. They could have made me cry, made me laugh, made me mad, made me grieve, but all of them, have made life richer.

How can I sum up 10 seasons of fabulous episodes, each that touched my heart? It is hard to explain. But as I had parted with the show already, all that is left for me is to get over it. I don't think I could just get over a show of this caliber. Goodbye, Friends.

***I am sad that the show is over. However, I am not insane. I do not believe that Ross, Rachel, Monica, Chandler, Joey, and Phoebe are my own friends. I accept the fact that this was a fictitious television sitcom. I could have been exaggerating. There is no need for alarm, nor there is need to call the local mental hospital. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home