Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Perils of Dating, Part 2

Perils of Dating, Part 2

Met a few people, had some interesting (to put it mildly) times, but nothing. A has perished now completely. I met J once, and found him mildly humorous. Nice enough, but somehow, not my type. He was a hip-hop listening, no musical, anti-geek sort of guy, and probably doesn't know who Coltrane or Chopin are. That's practically my gage in measuring a person's diverse intelligence. Everyone has these quirks that make or break the deal, and that is mine. It's alright if they don't like Coltrane or Chopin -- however, they must know them enough to make an informed opinion. I digress. I agreed to second date, because he was nice, had fairly good conversation skills, came from an interesting background, and I kept telling myself that if I keep quitting at the beginning, I'll get no where. So I agreed to a second date.

On the second date, he was late. But I had to overlook that because he came from a far away land, during mad traffic hour. Found out he doesn't eat tomatoes AT ALL, and does not eat sushi. I was almost at a loss for words, since sashimi/sushi is my ultimate favorite grub (albeit expensive grub) in the whole wide world, and it just broke my heart that there are people who do not eat sushi. I wasn't in a good mood -- I wasn't feeling quite up to acting overtly cheery and outgoing and friendly. I wanted to act like my rude self, and I did. I told him that I hated children and will probably never have them -- he then proceeded to ask, "what if your husband wants them?" I had to explain my present feelings about marriage and forming a nice nuclear family. It was all too much for a traditional, family-oriented, normal man who has lived a rather sheltered life, not too unlike the Brady Bunch or the Cosby's (or so I imagine).

I sensed that he felt very "eek!" by my unleashing of opinions. There is no way I would be able to hang out with someone who is afraid of my vocalizations. In fact, my vocalizations are very mild. I'm not one to break the waves or rock the boat or whatever the saying is. I'm no left wing protester, forming rally's infront of the White House. I don't do much protesting, in fact, despite my living situation (can you say SUCKY?). He wanted someone sweet and kind, gentle and nurturing, who shares similar interests, smiles a lot, and is easy-going. I hope he finds her.

Met M. M knows Coltrane and Chopin. Very opinionated. Well mannered. Handsome, in a dark, intriguing way. Well-educated, well-cultured. Well out of my league as far as intelligence goes. (Hey, I am not one who's afraid to admit that I am not as well-educated as some.) In previous conversation, stated that he is not one to leave loose ends, and not disappear off the face of the earth, leaving me hanging, wondering why. But he did.

At the closing of the first date, promised to have a second date listening to live jazz (which I've never done, admittedly and was eager to experience), called next evening to inform me of a slight illness. Afterwards, poof. My question is, why make suggestions for a second round when you're going to forfeit the match? So as far as this minute, in my book, he is not only a cad for "Disappearing Off the Face of the Planet™" but also for lying. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and leave the book open. However, virtually no excuse is good enough, unless it is something I'll feel bad about, aka death of someone close, i.e. dog caught plague, roommate spontaneously combusted, etc. Maybe he'll come up with something original.

I am continuing this process for another month. And then, that's it. I have no time to be messing around meeting one man after another when I'm about to plunge into another load of 15 units for the semester -- yep, even after last semester (which left me in a zombie-like state), I am doing it again. I just love school. I'm a nerd. I know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home