Saturday, October 23, 2004

Looking into the Future

Now that I'm finally going to be a Junior in college (I'm going to remain optimistic and hopeful about the situation), I think it is time that I prepare for the future. Until now, the future was just about getting into a nursing program so I can get some things settled (y'all know what they are, let's not get into the details). But now, that's been settled (more or less) and I'm going to be a Junior in college this winter. It is probably a good time to start contemplating about graduate school -- I know many people delay going to graduate school after doing undergrads for many reasons -- to take a break from it all, to gain field experience, whatevers. But I personally like to dive into things and continue a rhythm. It is difficult to go back to school after you've been away for a while -- believe me, I know!

I am a planner. I plan things. I love to plan things. I like to make lists. I like makiing lists so much that sometimes I'll include tasks I've already completed, just to increase the number of items on the list (and it also boosts my mood, knowing that I've completed some things). As y'all may know, I like making lists so much that I not only make one plan -- I make plan B as a back up, and then I make plan C as a back up to a back up, and sometimes, I even make a few more back up plans after that. I also like pro/con lists, but that's another story.

So what exactly would I need to do to prepare for graduate school? I've done scant research so far -- most of my research for education was for nursing programs and undergraduate work. I know the basics -- I'll need good grades, and I'll have to take some sort of entrance exam, whether it be the GRE or the GMAT or the MCAT and so on. Probably the first step I need to take is to decide what subject I will be studying.

For a while there, I had been thinking about doing the English thing, perhaps literature. Then I thought that the best thing for me to do to secure myself career-wise as well as financially, would be to do more nursing -- it would spring me into a teaching position at a college faster than one can say ibuprofen. Then there's my ultimate dream ever -- to go to medical school. The truth of the matter is, I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none. I love to do a lot of things and I manage to be adequately skilled in many areas, but I can't pinpoint to just one thing, nor do I excel in one specific area above all others.

How does one make such life-altering decisions? Decisions are hard for me -- look at me! I can't even decide what model iPod to get! The 20 G iPod, or the mini iPod? For months! I'm still surprised that I actually decided on the digital camera I wanted and have yet to have regretted the purchase. But it was nerve-wrecking to press that "checkout" button at Amazon.com to purchase it. Creating options and planning are easy for me, but making decisions and executing them have proven to be quite difficult.

And it isn't as though I can go to graduate school several times -- it wouldn't be efficient to get a graduate degree in English, then go to grad school again for nursing. And it will be more and more difficult to go to med school as I get older and older. With endless possibilities for choices, you can understand my dillema and concern. But on the upside, I can make new and more plans now. Time to whip out the daily planner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home