Thursday, October 21, 2004

Technical Difficulties

I am still having problems with my computer. Ugh. Hate this feeling of loneliness.

But my other technical problem happened two months ago. I did not know this until this week. I am an international student. That is something I must indicate to the schools to which I submit an application. And I have. Or so I thought.

I called up CSULA to ask them how I can process my I-20 (don't ask -- it's just a piece of paper required for international students). They were puzzled. Why would you need an I-20? I told them that I was a F-1 visa student. And then they broke it to me; it appears that on my application (electronically filed) that I have indicated that I was a US citizen. "That can't be right," I said. But it was. I went back and checked the application, and it did say US Citizen. I don't know how it happened. I checked the application at least three times, thoroughly, from beginning to end before pressing submit! It wasn't my intention to fool the admissions office. It really wasn't the case at all!

I had sent in my transcripts with my affadavit of support, as well as the supplementary international student application, so they had that. The person on the other line had said that she will submit all this information to the supervisor, and I should hear something by mail in three to four weeks. Three to four weeks!?

As you all know, I have applied for the F-1 visa. If it doesn't come through, then I'm pretty much doomed. But since I don't have the visa, I may not be able to attend CSULA until I either receive the visa or get my rejection, but not before I get the notice. Or I may still be able to attend. I don't know. So my matriculation is uncertain as it is. I didn't want my acceptance to be jeopardized as well.

So I'm very conflicted and worried as hell. This was a big opportunity for me to finally bust out of community college mode. To move onto bigger and better things, as they say. Apparently I'll need to wait until mid Novemberish to find out. Life is tormenting, to say the least. Ups and downs. It seems like I haven't quite gotten around to accepting the full implications of this blow though (I know it in my mind, but it might not have registered in my heart) because I remain strangely optimistic. Perhaps this is denial. Whatever it is, I hope it cushions enough for a possible catastrophic event. Which I hope I don't have to face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home