Monday, October 18, 2004

It's the End of the World...

My computer at home crashed several times yesterday. Despite my extrenuous effors to bring it back to life, it kept on crashing. And it wasn't even the usual blue screen -- it was blue, but it had a different message. It kind of felt like the telephone error message: "... if you feel you've reached this message in error, hang up and try again..." Only, it was: "...if you have no clue what's wrong with your computer, please restart your system again..." And I could turn the damned thing back on, and it felt okay about 10 minutes or so, and then it crashed. That happened about, oh, 7 times. And the scary thing was, at the bottom of that blue screen, it said something like, "Dumping physical memory: 1, 2, 3..." It actually used the word, "dumping" and "memory."

When I got the thing running temporarily, I ran various adware-zapping programs, and ran a virus check, did disk cleanup, but nothing helped. I am just so deathly afraid of losing the stuff stored in my computer -- I have come to be totally dependent on my computer! I have a lot of my written works, although they're in-progress works, saved onto my hard drive, along with various saved html files, a truckload of mp3 files, and so on. I'll feel like my house burned down in a fire if I lose all that. Ugh!

I'm going to have to bother my brother about getting the situation fixed/salvaged, but as he is so busy these days, I may have to fend for myself in this matter. I'm not as much a computer geek as I may seem; repairing problems is not my strong suit. But at this point, I may have to learn how and just do it myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home