Monday, November 22, 2004

News that Matter

Unlike most people who read the paper in the morning as they have breakfast and coffee (can not believe people actually get up that early), I often read the paper after I get home from work or school, which means I get the news after the sun goes down. Of course I get tidbits while browsing on-line during work, but most of the detailed information comes in after dinner-time.

So like many other days, I am just about half way through scanning the paper, at nearly 11PM. Frontpage had a story that was very interesting to me. "Bush Renews Migrant Pledge." President Bush's program to allow illegal immigrants to work legally (issuing a temporary worker visa provided they meet certain conditions, i.e. they have an employer willing to hire them for a job for which they can't get an American). Bush was kinda quiet about this program during the election season -- I thought he might have made more emphasis on the issue to gain Latino votes, but I was wrong -- he didn't want to alienate the GOP. Now that the election has been done with, Bush is pushing his agenda -- more actively pursuing it. The only problem is, the conservative sentiment in this country has been growing and is now the majority. Will Bush be able to convince them to follow his lead?

I know there are many opponents and critics to this plan, which is not an amnesty, but it is still being worked on. And the current immigration situation has got to be resolved -- just by letting these people sit there is not going to make them go away.

I hope to hear good news soon, preferably within the next two to three years -- once Bush leaves office, who knows what the next guy is going to do about it? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

By the way, President Bush, I doubt you are reading this, but if you are -- I will retract all my Bushland and Jesusland jokes -- just pull through on this one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home