Monday, November 22, 2004

Not Ignorant, after all

Last night, I was called ignorant. You know, I've been in school a long time, and for most of my years in schools, I've had a pretty good track record. So when someone claims that I am ignorant and unaware of the basic concepts of US History, I was naturally flabbergasted. So much, that I spent most of the night and this morning, researching on-line for reputable sources. Either to prove that I am right, or at the very least, show myself where my misunderstanding lies.

Well, I've found so much information supporting my version of history, and I found scant sources supporting the opposite. And those sources were somewhat shady. But the best information came from a fellow classmate, who wrote in a response: "Haemi; Thank you. I wish I had the power to give you extra credit." He also supported the statements with a link, which explains the urban legends regarding the Founding Fathers and the birth of this nation. This is the link that debunks the myth.

It was definitely satisfying to have a classmate chime in on my rebuttal, with a sense of confirmation. In fact, it seems that the supporting evidence used by the OP was one of those eRumors -- things that floated over the internet, drawing a lot of speculation. I am not certain, but it seems that it was written out of fury to the removal of the Ten Commandments from the Alabama court house (was it court house? Some government building for sure). It ends with "How, then, have we gotten to the point that everything we have done for 220 years in this country is now suddenly wrong and unconstitutional? Please forward this to everyone you can. Lets put it around the world and let the world see and remember what this great country was built on." If someone really wanted to get this point of view out, he/she should have at least used proper evidence that were REAL and concrete, not one that is obviously fictional. It was written with intent to astound the reader (I myself, gasped after reading, out of disbelief that the Founding Fathers did/say/believed such things!) and claim a false appeal to authority to bypass the bewilderment in the reader. In other words, just plain bad!

Well, anyways. At least I know where I stand in my US History... (as well as Greek and Roman art!)

UPDATE: The guy who made the original post retracted his post with a blanket apology, "for all the damage" he created. Not a direct apology to me for calling me ignorant, but I'll take what I can get. The not-so-good part of this is that he only did so after the other classmate wrote about that "debunking the myth" thing.

Update: I just got back from class. The guy who posted the original thread apologized to me multiple times. He sounded very sincere. Sincere enough that I feel bad for getting my undies in a knot over this. Maybe I just have to change my own attitude about things -- like believe in people and believe that they are innocent until absolutely proven otherwise and even then leave room for the benefit of the doubt. I just gotta stop thinking that everyone is evil except me! Yes, I admit that I have some fault in this. But I am glad to see that as college students, we have all come to a nice agreement about the way we behaved and made the necessary adjustments in attitudes accordingly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home