Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Taking Procrastination to New Heights

Or, rather, new lows. But first, other minute details of my life.

Someone stole my paper again this morning, and I am NOT happy. NOT HAPPY! YOU HEAR ME NEIGHBOR? It's still STEALING even if it's a paper that costs 50 cents! And stealing is a CRIME! I am thisclose to setting up a hidden camera to catch these thief/thieves in the act. Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, messes with my reading material.

In other news... I had a very warm and fuzzy feeling today. I went around, blog-hopping (cuz I'm too homely and lazy to bar-hop like normal people), just jumping from blog to blog. Then, I came to my own blog, and you know what? It felt like home. Mmmm.... home. Home sweet home.

And now, the topic at hand: Procrastination. I took procrastination too new heights today -- you can also call it a new low, depending on your perspectives, but since I am a positive person, I guess I'll call it new heights. As though that were a good thing. Yeah.

Well, I had this project for my statistics class. It was assigned about three weeks ago, at the beginning of November. And it's not even a big-time project, that would take hours to do. I had estimated that it should take about 4 hours to complete from beginning to end. Well, I was going to do it and going to do it and going to do it, and finally I was going to do it on Sunday, but I got caught up with the whole philosophy class' online discussion board, so I postponed it to Monday night.

Well, on Sunday night, I went to bed pretty late (3AMish so it would actually be Monday morning) and I was really sleepy and tired. So I gave myself about three hours to complete the project this morning (it was due today, class starts at 10:15AM). So I set the alarm to 5AM and went to bed. Of course I just could NOT get up at that ungodly hour! So I slept through until about 8:30, which means I missed my first morning class, which started at 8:30AM. Not only that, it also left me very little time to get this project completed!

I had to think quick, and the only idea that came to mind was that I work as fast as possible and get to class before it ends, and walk in and hand in the paper as the class leaves. But the class ends at 11:46 AM, so even that was pushing it -- after all, I still would need to brush my teeth, get dressed and etc. It was really pushing it -- I had to do some stuff on Excel, and I just could not recall how to get the graphs right. The damned thing refused to cooperate, and the printer got jammed and the computer froze and everything about Murphy's law went into effect. Then I realized that I needed a project cover folder thingi. So I would need to leave a bit earlier and run to the book store to buy it.

As I skidded down the drive way, I had a thought: what if the book store doesn't sell the folders? Then I said, nah, they probably do, and I don't have time to make a run to Office Depot. And they did. Of course, when I went to pay for the damned thing, I held my wallet upside down with the change pocket unzipped, and all the coins fell onto the ground, scattering everywhere -- and knowing me, you realize that I would never leave the premises without all my money! But alas, they did have the folders, so I was saved. What they didn't have was a hole puncher for the papers! I ran to the school library but they didn't have one either! ARGH! I had to push the papers through the metal prongs, tearing the holes into the paper.

Long story short (might be too late for that, but oh well) I did turn in the paper as everyone else was turning theirs in on their way out, and the instructor was busy answering a question from a student, so I was unnoticed. I flopped the project on the table and made a smooth exit. So I made it, just in the nick of time. And you know, you would think that after all that trouble, I would learn a thing or two about procrastinating beyond my wildest dreams. But NO. Apparently, I am a slow learner, because I have a research paper due in about 4 hours, and here I am blogging! And before I got here to blogging, I had a leisure bagel (what's a leisure bagel?), cleaned my room (as if that couldn't wait), and then went blog-surfing.

Sometimes, I really hate myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home