Sunday, March 23, 2003

"When real people fall down in life, they get right back up and keep on walking." --Carrie, Sex and the City.

The situation with the war is getting rather gruesome. I am not really a political person, but I do like to keep updated on the news... Iraqi TV showed footage of the Allies prisoners of war, which apprently violates the Geneva Conventions, article 13 or another. Also, the prisoners of war are thought to be mistreated, which is rather sad. I have to say I agree with the fact that war is necessary; casualties, on the other hand, is not quite agreeable. One would say that the casualties are for a greater cause, but at the individual level, would the families of the captured/wounded/killed feel the same? Are the soldiers aware and agree with the war? Do they have a passion for the cause for which they are fighting? I know the military is an institution of strict order and obey, and I can imagine the people who are afraid to go to war. Yes, even if you are a Marine or part of the Navy, you can have fear. It is a very human trait.

I have to say that I haven't upheld my new year's resolution to read more. I still read little outside of the monthly fashion/women/sex magazines that I subscribe to. It is a shame, but I still haven't finished One Hundred Years of Solitude... it may take me a good hundred years to finish it! Also, no further progresses made on The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri: Inferno. Some may say that I should lighten up with the reading, but the truth is I really haven't tackled any literary material since the Scarlet Letter that I re-read because I didn't read it the first time around when it was required for my English class when I was a senior in HS. I've read fewer and fewer books every year, and I intended to put a stop to that. My mottot being "It is never too late to be what you might have been," by the famous George Elliot. She definitely knew what she was talking about -- it's one quote that really touches me where it hurts most. Anyways, so I am affirming my resolution. READ!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home