Tuesday, October 21, 2003

I have decided to drop the calculus class. Not only was I not doing well, it was sucking the life out of me. It was a hard decision to make, and I am sorry it had to come down to this. I am not a quitter by nature. In fact, I am a challenger. I take on things just to prove that I can do it. I realize that I have failed. First, as an international student, tuition is approx $150 per unit. Calculus is a 5 unit class. I lost out on a lot of money, and will now have a "W" grade to deal with. I spent a lot of time in class and studying outside of class. It was either to sacrifice all of it and attempt to restore my life in order again, or to stick with it for a measly "C" at best. I hope I made the right choice. Since history and sociology are extremely easy classes, and I am betting that speech 101 is also(which starts next week), it leaves me more time for bonding with the telly. Too bad I don't have cable.

Pirates of the Carribean. What can I say. It was a fantastic movie... Johnny Depp is marvelous. I love Mr. Depp because he is a passionate actor. He truly becomes the character. I could never imagine anyone else playing Jack Sparrow but Depp. I mean, imagine Tom Cruise. Or Richard Gere. Heath Ledger? No, no, and no. I haven't seen a whole lot of Depp's films, but those I have seen, I have a very positive regard for them. Edward Scissorhands comes to mind. How can a country boy from the midwest become such a great performer? Edward Scissorhands was in 1990, when I was in the 5th grade. Depp in 1990, and Depp in 2003 have no difference. He is ageless. His passion for acting makes him whatever age his character is. I rarely see movie in theaters anymore. At the rate they are hiking up movie ticket costs, I'd rather save it up and see a live performance.

I know I am wandering off, but I can recall vividly the night I saw "Rent."(Westcoast productions) The lead was played by Neil Patrick Harris, the guy who used to be the famous "Doogie Howser" -- child MD. I always wanted to get into the health profession, but Rent enveloped me with the genuine interest to help those with HIV and AIDS. If you haven't seen this, you are seriously missing out. Great, great, great. I also saw Phantom of the Opera at the Phantages theatre in Hollywood. This one is a definite classic. It's like the intro to musical/broadway 101. If anyone visits the Los Angeles area, you should check out Phantages theatre, and the Ahmanson. If you have time for just one, definitely the Ahmanson. It's connected with the Dorothy Chamber Pavilion, and they have the most beautiful fountains. It's in downtown Los Angeles, generally not a great neighborhood, especially at night (a haven for ravers though), but when you're there, you'd think you were in some place fancy, like Times Square in Manhattan. Is Times Square in Manhattan? Having never even been in the proximity of the East coast, I wouldn't know. But movies always depict it as a bright place filled with lights and happy people. Something like that. People actually come dressed to kill for these shows. I always went in a humble skirt and buttonup shirts, but some people arrive in Limos, looking like they were on the red carpet. That's the good life for ya. Well, I must get back to my telly. I am missing quality TV time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home