Friday, December 12, 2003

Against better judgment, I went into Barnes and Nobles last night and actually BOUGHT stuff. This holiday season especially has drained my bank account, but I was feeling stressed and tired and depressed -- I needed to do something to pick myself back up. I went in, and found A Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl, which is kind of a biography of her husband, Daniel Pearl -- the Wall Street Journal's journalist who was killed in Karachi, Pakistan, by the terrorist group there. I read the first few pages, and was amazed by the beauty of this woman's wording. Her phrases are connected artistically! I had been debating about buying this book for months. I found it at 50% off last night -- it was 25 dollars originally -- and could not resist. I slept very happily last night! Great bargain, great book... what could I possibly want more? I also bought a copy of Sun Tzu's Art of War. It may be an interesting choice, but that book is so insightful -- and to think that it was written by a man half way around the world, many many many centuries ago. This was $8 -- a little pricey for a paperback, but I think worth every penny. I felt a bit ambiguous about the translation, but I'll find out soon enough.

So now that I have purchased two of the books I have longed for so long, I only have a few more on my list. Hilary Clinton's Living History is one; although it isn't written as beautifully as Ms Pearl's book, she is an inspirational character and I am intrigued to hear the details from her words. Second would be the Art of Happiness by His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama. What I would really need would be the Art of Happiness at Work but I think the general one which was written first, would be my starting point. I think for the first time ever, I will actually answer when people ask what I want for Christmas. Despite the fact that I don't believe in god or Christmas, I rather enjoy gifts. I think even if there were no Christmas, there should be a day in a year where people practice extra good will and share joy and gifts with one another. Well, back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home