Monday, December 15, 2003

I have very mixed feelings about Saddam's capture. I was in such shock when I heard the news, which was about half a day later. I was shocked even more than the time I heard about the planes that crashed into the WTC. I saw the photos and the videos of Mr Hussein, who had a long beard. He looked defeated. I am not too familiar with the "atrocities" that he had committed, although I have heard of the mass graves for which he is blamed. True, he was a dictator, a tyrant even -- but in my most humble opinion, I believe that he thought he was doing good. Not evil, but good. Perhaps from a different point of view than Mr. Bush did.

When it comes down to it, I saw him as a simple man who once had been charismatic and convincing enough to lead a nation, whether he used force or not. Pre-Saddam, Iraq wasn't much of a country, but in just few years he more than doubled the literacy rate, among other advancements. In the end, he was a defeated man, unloved by all. He had two sons, who were like his right and left arms, killed, and all his glory taken away in a matter of weeks. He could have used his talents, intelligence, his charisma for a better purpose. He could have risen to fame and glory without meeting this harsh end. But then again, it all comes down to the choices we make. We all pay for our choices; Saddam will pay now.

During the time he spent, living in that coffin-like hole, what went through his mind? When a person of such great power collided with a bleak brick wall... what did he way to himself? Did he have remorse for the life he led? Did he curse fate? Did he vow to rise again? It must have been horrible. Like a child, who stole money from the mom's wallet; it may have been just a few dollars, but knowing the inevitable punishment that lies ahead... not just punishment but to be hated and discarded by society... I won't say that I like Saddam. I don't. But I pity him nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home