Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Mmmm~~ I had a good day. It was relaxing. I think I ate four times, which is 100% more often than usual. I often skip breakfast, have a hastened lunch, then a slow dinner infront of the telly, but today was different. I keep reading about how five smaller meals instead of three (or two in my case) larger meals can help maintain a healthy weight by balancing the blood sugar levels at a stable level throughout the day. It is hard when I work from 10 - 7. I do have a customer oriented job, and in a Korean oriented office, eating snacks during non-lunch work hours would not look acceptable. Especially when most Koreans look at me as though I was an overfed oaf (I am taller and quite a bit larger than the average Korean woman -- I am not petite as many people stereotype me on-line!) although I am more than quite normal by American standards. I grew up with Mickey D's and Coca Cola -- what did you expect?

Well, nevertheless, I would genuinely like to eat five times a day. I often get home after 7:30PM so even dinner is at a pretty late time. Prime time actually.

I have been thinking... about starting another blog. Yes, another one. I wanted to start a log where I record my personal commentary on the books I read -- or at least I plan to read. I think this might be a blog that may not live to see it's month-aversary (PEOPLE! It is not one month anniversary, or six months anniversary -- the word anniversary in itself contains the prefix designating that it is an YEARLY thing! So to the many lovers out there who anally celebrate their four-and-a-half-anniversary, it's not the correct usage of the word, anniversary. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry.) simply because I don't know if I'll keep writing it, or if I'll keep reading the same book until I finish it and do this reading thing continuously and consistently. I should, but I know that my willpower isn't strong and I shoudn't start something outright and outrageously when I am not certain that this may last. So I started a little temporary version of it on my geocities website (address not listed for my sake -- and for yours too, so that you won't be exposed to yet another abandoned, orphaned blog!).

I wrote about Bingley and Darcy -- if I were a high school English teacher and assigned that book to be read, I would know the perfect assignment to assign: compare and contrast Mr. Bingley and Mr. Darcy. It seems like the exact thing that any HS teacher would have assigned. I guess I'm supposed to hate Mr. Darcy at this point (chapter ten so far) but you know what? I like him. He reminds me of myself. I'm full of pride and haughtiness. Although I don't want to be, but I am never ever tolerant of those who posess a lower level of intelligence or work ethics as I do -- although I may not be as rich, I am pretty sure that if I were a Hilton sister, I'd be just as haughty too. Sometimes I am glad that I didn't get to go to the college of my dreams. It was a very humbling experience that I probably was in much need of. Otherwise I might have appeared to be much similar to Darcy. So, in short, by association, I like Darcy. I don't like Bingley too much at this point, because he is just so plain darn nice. Not nearly as critical as a human being should be. It's really early in the novel to tell, but that's what it looks from this point.

As I gain more knowledge of the English language, I am increasingly irritated by grammatical errors, and spelling errors. I am VERY sure that I make many errors. For example, ending a sentence with a preposition. Ever since I became aware of it, I try my best to avoid it, but sometimes I still do use it. When other people make the mistake, I am just so annoyed. That writer's impression on my mind just plummets into the level of ESL people. Such wretchedness! Of course, people to whom English really is a second language, I can excuse completely. However, to those who only speak English and were raised speaking it, you should know the simple rules of grammar. I am not saying that you should be able to identify a dangling modifier in a sentence -- a rare few would be able to do that. Even yours truly, self-proclaimed uber-geek isn't likely to do that on a regular day to day basis. But observing grammatical rules seems to me, is essential. It is how you respect a language. By being completely ignorant of them and their usage, or at the very least, ignoring them, is a complete disrespect for the language. And the English language is a great language. Every language is great. But since most of you American gringos speak just one language, it is imperative that you speak it well. Not speak it good, but speak it well. Many would recognize that "speak well" is correct, versus "speak good" but just the same rare few would be able to tell why. It is appalling. At the high school level, this should all have been sorted out by now. Well, just ignore my ranting. It's probably full of more errors, grievous errors than I would ever know.

Let me at least say this -- because I have the right to say it. Please use a dictionary. Please spell correctly. Unless it is a rare typo, it really does demean the quality of your writing. Sometimes I wonder: just who am I talking to...?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home