Saturday, March 27, 2004

You Know You're Not Going to Use that Camera!

As you know, I work in the wireless phone business, catering to the Korean community in Los Angeles. I am Korean myself, so I know I have the right to say this: We're a bunch of shallow people whose most urgent needs are those satisfying the superficial ego. Maybe it is just because most of my customers are Koreans that I say this, or perhaps an odd coincidence that just my customers are egotistical assholes. But nevertheless, this tale is about just that.

With the new surge of camera phones, business is exploding. It's great. I love the little things, that has not only a camera, but cool games, organizer features like a date book and a large-capacity phone book. It's a beautiful thing. Korean people, being superficial, always want the best of everything, even if it isn't something they need. The most urgent needs are those that satisfy their need to "show off." Hence the people who live in a crowded two bedroom apartment with 9 other people (Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean) and yet drive a Mercedes Benz S-class. Likewise, the having the most recent, stylish, high-tech gadget, like a cell phone, is also an easy way to show off to one's equally superficial friends how cool you are. To me, being hip at 50 isn't really of the utmost importance, but hey, that's just me.

I have customers who are not of the computer generation; they didn't grow up with computers, and all their life, they had no need for a computer, so therefore, they do not know how to turn one on. It's a shame, because the computer is a wonderful thing, and although I don't discourage them from learning, I do want them to take it seriously. If you buy a cell phone with all the bells and whistles, at least ring the goddamn bell! If you buy a camera phone, because of the camera, at least learn how to use it and seriously consider using it. Or why would you buy it? That would be like buying a surround sound stereo home theatre system (or whatever it is called -- see? I don't know it, I don't plan on learning it, so I don't buy it!) just because it is a cool thing, and yet never learning how to use it.

I have seen many customers in my day. When a person walks into the store, I can tell what kind of a person they're like. Practical? Desiring something fancy? Something for the kids? Whatever it may be. So I know when a woman in her late 40's walks in, and she hasn't got a clue about how to use a regular camera, much less a digital one, she's not going to be able to use her camera. These are people, who walk into the store, and shout out their intentions, loud and proud: What's the best one? How does one answer that? The best for what? The price? The features? The sturdiness? It's not like we have a scale that measures the phones and lists them from best to poor. I mean, what's the best car? What's the best computer?

I know when they ask that, all they want is the bling bling. And at the beginning, their intentions of learning how to use the camera are genuine. They really want to use it. But unfortunately, they lack the brainpower and the mindset to learn something new. Perhaps you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But I am utterly surprised, because my mom is in her mid-40's. She knows how to text-message. She knows how to check her voicemail. She knows how to input her own phonebook into memory. You'd be surprised how many people can't do that. Perhaps the ESL thing is a barrier, but I think that there is a big gap between the computer-using generation, and the non-computer-adapted generation. I bought my mom a camera phone, a Samsung SGH-E715, only because I know she can and will use it to the fullest extent. She takes pictures of our cat, Nabee. Apparently, she is the only willing model around my household.

The moral of today's blog entry is this: Whatever your age is, don't feel the need to conform, or follow society. You don't use a computer or a digital camera. So what? If you don't need it and don't want to use it, why buy it? It is a waste of money, and you are making yourself appear foolish and shallow, not only to the salesman, but also to your own self. I may only be 23, but I can proudly say that I have a hard time with the DVD player. But I'm learning, and I can do stuff on it that are basic. But I know I will never be able to achieve an adequate skill of utilizing the PlayStation 2 or X-box (too many buttons!!!) because I am from the generation where the original Nintendo was used. But nor do I want to use a PS II or an X-box. So I won't buy it. Why would I? So I can appear cool to my cat? Don't do something simply because everyone else is doing it. Be true to yourself. You deserve honesty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home