Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Movie Review: 50 First Dates

Movie Review: 50 First Dates

Now normally, I'm not an Adam Sandler fan. I don't know what it is about him, but I just hate him. So I was hesistant about watching 50 First Dates, which featured his The Wedding Singer co-star, Drew Barrymore. But the title hit me very close to my heart, as I am probably close to experiencing something like 50 first dates myself, I figured, I should give it a try.

I hate sappy romantic comedies. The women are always ditzy, and the men are always problematic, and I guess the sappiness is supposed to come when they realize their love for each other despite all their aweful acting. But recently, I seem to bend over backwards for these films -- I've become a hormonal, sappy, emotional, tear-jerking romantic. It's crazy. I've also enjoyed a few Disney-style, coming of age teen flicks. Maybe I'm aging backwards!

Oh wait. Let's get back to 50 First Dates. The plot, I felt, was actually good. It wasn't totally predictable -- I mean, obviously it would have a happy ending, but it was a rather unexpected ending. You probably already know that Drew Barrymore's character, Lucy, had brain trauma and lost her short term memory, as well as her ability to retain new short term memory. I totally expected her illness to be completely cured and the characters go off to Lala land and live happily ever after. Well, let's just say it was a very nice ending, and not cliche at all.

It was romantic. Just the idea of trying to make someone you love, fall in love with you each and every day, is romantic. It's also a lesson. Are you not trying, or putting an effort into your loved ones, and taking them for granted? It would be much more work, but not taking love for granted, would make your life more worth while. It's hard to explain, when customers are calling every 2 minutes to complain about something or another... argh. Maybe when my train of thought isn't break up into static, I'll try to be clearer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home