Friday, August 20, 2004

Grammar Nazi™ Strikes Again

Here are what other self-proclaimed Gramma Nazi¢â's are saying:

First of all, if English is a second language to your reader even minor spelling mistakes can throw off the entire theme of your message. Besides, the PRESENTATION of a message is just as, if not more important than the actual message. Don¡¯t believe me? Let me run a scenario by you: Two equally qualified men are asking their boss for a raise and a promotion. The first guys says: ¡°Wassup, dog. Can I holla atchoo for a minnut? Peep dis: I am up in dis joint EVERY DAY, I gots me da education you cats wanted, and ain¡¯t no nigga up in here bust ass like me. Shit¡¦.you be trippin¡¯ if you think you can make without da number one stunna. So, I be thinking that you should swing a little sumpin sumpin my way, yanno? A couple extra dolla dolla bills, if ya feelin¡¯ me right. The second guy says: Mr. Billings? May I have a moment in private with you? I have reviewed the education requirements for the new position that has opened up and found that my resume meets and exceeds what you are looking for. Not only that, but I am a reliable, hardworking asset to this company who has proven his value on numerous occasions. I already know the ins and outs of this business, which would save you time on training where you to hire someone from outside the company. If you would consider me for the position, I promise you, I wouldn¡¯t let you down. Now, tell me, who would you promote? Keep in mind that the spirit of both messages are the same. It¡¯s the presentation of the messages that varies. from Verisimilitude: Sometimes the Truth Hurts

And from Electronic Mayhem...

Admittedly, I am a Grammar Nazi. I take great joy in correcting others' neglect for the English language, great shame in finding my own, and a deep remorse for the state of the nation when I read AOL chat logs or hear Bush speak. Admittedly, the words in my lexicon could be markedly more pretentious, but while I still use contractions in my daily speech, and I fucking swear a lot, perhaps I shouldn't be brushed off as being too pretentious, either. As a basis for comparison, I understood everything that The Architect said in his monologue at the end of The Matrix sequel, which is probably better than most of the population, seeing as many of them walked out of said flick mumbling in confusion or thumbing through their pocket dictionaries.

And of course, outside of the print blog world, people are just blatantly posting up their errors for the entire public to see: Click Here to view images (work safe, although grammatically displeasing to view!)

And there's more:

Voice of America needs to learn the difference between "that" and "which:" "As a first-term senator who has held no other elective office, the Republican Party noted that Mr. Edwards has never been the lead sponsor on any legislation, which has become law. "

What he's trying to say is "...any legislation that has become law." "That" is restrictive, and limits the scope of the noun it modifies. Which, on the other hand, is unrestrictive, and merely provides additional information about the noun it modifies. "which has become law" makes no sense unless it's intended to be restrictive. Some would argue that which can be used in a restrictive sense, but at the very least, that requires removing the superfluous comma, which makes it unambiguously unrestrictive. Also, doesn't it seem to be saying that the Republican Party is a first-term senator? from The Bit Bucket

And I thought I was bad! And apparently, I should up the ante in the whole "let's be grammatically correct" situation. Also, the term Grammar Nazi is ubiquitous. I'll need a different name -- preferably one that invokes images of a super hero (super shero), fighting those who commit crimes against grammatical decency! Also, I'll need to brush up on the old grammar rules -- I am forgetting what a dangling modifier is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home