Monday, November 29, 2004

Brrrr~! Frozen!

It took me practically eons to log into Blogger and get to this screen to type. It adds to my current wanderlust -- I want to wean myself off from Blogger. I always complain about my customers, who want to pay nothing for a phone that works miracles, with great coverage. Perhaps I am not much different -- I want to blog for free (or very very close to it) and yet I want something reliable and fast and also room to host images and such. No such thing as a free lunch, I suppose.

I was talking to Christopher over at Californian Sojourn the other day, and he told me that it was practically freezing. Granted, he lives way out there (middle-o-nowhere), but I really should have taken that comment more seriously. I went to class tonight wearing the same thing I wore to work -- jeans and a medium-weight turtleneck sweater. I tend to forget that more often than not, Thanksgiving ushers in a wintery feel in the air. Walking to class at 6PM was cold enough -- walking back to the car at 9:40 PM was freakishly cold. You know, cold enough that the rims of your ears start to go numb and you can't feel them anymore. So cold that my hair felt cold.

I know it may seem like I'm blaming the weather for my lapse in judgment, but allow me to tell my tale. McDonalds has placed one of their ubiquitous shops in a strategic location near the school -- halfway between the school and the parking lot, which is about three blocks or so away. I was walking back to the car. It was as though hell froze over. It was that cold. I was hungry -- I might have eaten my cat! I had half a potato before going to class, so I was famished! I was walking past McDonalds, when I saw the people, enjoying their food in a well-lit area, their gay laughters filling the air with a toasty warmth... and that just tipped me over into the realm of insanity.

It has been about a month since I saw Supersize Me. After seeing the film, I was grossed out to no end by fast food. I knew I would eventually eat fastfood sometime or another, but I vowed to refrain from consuming fastfood as much as possible, and stay clear from them at least for a good chunk of time. I mean, that guy (in the documentary) gained a lot of weight and looked like crap at the end! Little did I know that I was about to jump back on the bandwagon.

After I got past the MickeyD's, I was practically drooling. I mean, I was cold and hungry -- how much more pathetic can one get? I jumped in the car, and as my ears and fingers thawed a bit, I decided to get food. Fast food. I knew there wasn't anything warm to eat at home -- everything edible was meant to be consumed cold, or at room temperature. There was no soup or hot, steaming rice. And I wanted something hot and tasty and delicious and greasy and fatty. By this point, I had already crossed over to insanity, so I really can't be held accountable for the crazy things I did!

I didn't want to go to McDonalds -- there was still enough of a stigma left from Supersize Me that I just could not go there. Next best thing -- Jack in the Box. Good old Jack. I zoomed off the freeway and screeched to a maddening halt at the drive-thru speaker box. I ordered myself a #4, which is Jack's Spicy Crispy Sandwich. At least I ordered diet coke.

I snatched the bag from the mustached guy (who looked strangely like Mario from the Super Mario games -- perhaps I was delirious at this point), and before I left the driveway, I already grabbed a fistful of fries and stuffed them in my mouth. My fingers were still apathetic from the cold, and I didn't feel the heat from the fries at all. It was when they hit the roof of my mouth I felt that burning sensation spreading. I quickly washed it down with the icy diet coke, and let out a sigh of relief and pleasure. Mmmmmm... hydrogenated oil....

I got home, and I inhaled the sandwich. The buttermilk sauce was heaven. Divine. After what seemed like just a few seconds, all I was left with, were the wrappers. And a sick conscience. I was having one of those Homer Simpson moment, when he is both pleased and angered -- DOH! Oooohmmmmmm... DOH! Ooooohhmmmmm... The satiety I felt in my stomach was no match for the unpleasantly sick amount of guilt that rested heavily in my mind. All the things I had learned in nutrition class... transfat, hydrogenated oils, cholesterol clogging my arteries, over-production of bile to deal with the amount of fat... about 1000 calories in a matter of minutes... Uuuuuh...

What is done is done. I can't regurgitate this toxic meal I just consumed. Better luck next time. For now, I will resort to doing half an hour of yoga before bed in hopes of compensating for my irresponsible behavior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home