Thursday, November 25, 2004

It's Haemi Time!

I can't tell you how good it feels to finally get that extra day. I haven't had a real day off (I only get Sundays off, and even that's spent playing catch-up for school and chores like laundry) since Labor Day. It is so good, and while most people are stressed out about taking care of holiday shopping and cooking that Turkey to golden perfection, I have neither to do. It's like, out of no where, I am given 24 hours of Haemi-time. And just an hour into the holiday, I spent some quality Haemi-time. Although I am sleepy beyond belief!

FierceWomen.com is a website created by Tinka and her cousin, and filled by other fierce women writers -- they started a while back, and I've always been so busy doing something or another that I never got around to doing any writing for it. I always said that I'd do something this weekend or the next, but in truth, I never got much done. It is hard to find time to do something productive that is not required by either school or work at the moment, since those two factors single-handedly dominate my life. For me to do creative work while those two things loom ominously is like trying to not only walk through a foot deep snow, but to do jumping jacks and sing show tunes while making my way! With all my creative energy drained by the mundane daily obstacles of life, all I have left is enough to fill this blog daily. My first attempt at writing my first novel in a month for NaNoWriMo is proof. I just don't have the energy!

Well, shortly after midnight, I sat down and realized that I don't have to get up early at all in the morning (just early enough to get the paper before someone steals it -- oh wait, is there paper on Turkey Day?) and it is a freebie day for me -- 24 hours for me to do whatever I want without worrying about playing catch up. So I did the thing I've procrastinated the longest -- writing my first piece for Fiercewomen.com. I'm not done, of course, but I made so much progress. Enough progress for me to be thrilled. I mean, not the prospect of having my writing be seen on another website besides my blog, but the fact that I actually wrote a piece (well, a portion of a piece) that was not some school or work required writing. A creative piece (although it's not fiction). I think once I get the ball rolling, the words would come easier -- just as I had done for this blog -- I started writing whatever that came to mind, even if it was nonsense, and pretty soon I am pumping out words faster than I can think! So I am so glad -- glad for that cathartic moment. Moment of creativity. A brief moment in time where I became a creator -- I've created. I'm off to bed now -- you can be certain that I'm going to have the sweetest dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home