Tuesday, November 02, 2004

It's the Most Wonderful Time...

Ok. The title's meant as sarcasm. But isn't it kind of exciting to be faced with the possibility that we may have a new guy in the White House, albeit still a "guy" and still a Yalie? In the 2000 election, I actually liked Bush more than Gore -- I didn't like Gore at all. He didn't seem quite intelligent, and while it's hard to say whose Southern twang made them sound more intelligent, or less stupid (not to offend anyone with a Southern drawl -- they're quite lovely, but these two dudes just sounded redneck), when push came to shove, I would have chosen Bush.

And I was even more split and confused in 1992 -- I didn't like Clinton. He was definitely a redneck -- I mean, literally, his neck was red! And there was something about him that I just didn't like -- I liked his wife, but I just didn't like Bill. And I was right for disliking him. I know everyone talks about the reducing of the national debt and what not when they speak of Bill Clinton's presidency, but all I recall is that his presidency was one of scandals -- scandals that out-scandalled any scandal Tinseltown could ever concoct. I do believe that he had a rather tough time with the whole Lewinsky thing, and that it was a matter of privacy that shouldn't have been opened to the whole world, but he did what he did. He also knew what he was doing, and he did at the most important time of his life, when he was the top guy, leading a nation. That's just undermining the people, if you ask me. But I'm digressing.

This year, I am really, really, liking Kerry, more so than I usually like politicians anyway. I've grown to actually like politicians, not all, but a few -- perhaps I am growing more optimistic. It used to be that I thought all politicians were evil and the devil incarnate and whatnot. But so far, I found that I like Feinstein and Boxer (not so much as politicians, but as women leaders), I even like Ah-nold a little bit (it's not to say that I agree with the things he do, but just pleasantly surprised that he's actually doing a governor's job -- whether it is a better job than Davis or his predecessors, I don't know yet), and I like Kerry. I like Edwards too. Oh wait. Am I forgetting that I can't vote?

Yes, well, even if I can't vote, I can still watch the election coverage as it unravels before the nation's eyes. Let's see: CBS has "Election 2004" all evening, NBC has "Decision 2004: Election Night" and ABC's got "Vote 2004" and Fox has "You Decide 2004" and KCAL has "KCAL News" scheduled all evening, which I can only guess that it would be election coverage. Wow. The WB is resolute in their programming -- they are still showing "Gilmore Girls" and "One Tree Hill" and the rest of their regularly scheduled programming.

I've got class tonight, and since this class was cancelled last week, I doubt we'll be released early. Perhaps by the time I get out of class, the world would know. Or perhaps, in another couple of days -- give or take a month. (That's my sense of humor for y'all)

In other news -- more personal news -- the fan has arrived. What fan, you ask? Well, it's highly unlikely that I'd buy a fan (just as November starts!). The fan on my computer was not spinning, and it was causing my computer to over-heat. That's the culprit behind the funky smell coming from my room whenever my computer was on. My brother says that there could possibly be damage to the computer itself because of the over-heating (i.e. physical melt-down) but we're replacing the fan first and seeing how it goes. I hope my computer hasn't melted. Goodness, I hope not. But the fan is here and soon as it is installed, I'll know if I can have my old computer back. And I'll take better care of it -- and dust it once in a while. You wouldn't believe the amount of dust there was inside!

And the laser printer I ordered is coming today. UPS delivery. Yay!

I had to skip a lot of classes lately -- once I took a personal day (if schools allow their students personal days...) and took some time recuperating from the mess that shall forever be known as CSULA. Then I missed two more classes when I had to go to the nursing program's information session (by the way, they'll be sending out acceptance/rejection letters this Friday -- a girl can hope, can't she?) and stuff like that. So I've got a lot of absenses totalling up this month -- I better stay focused. I really don't think I can manage a 4.0 this semester -- the stress is a bit heavier, and I'm taking un-fun classes! I'm hoping for about a 3.5 or so. Sounds reasonable to me anyway.

But the important thing is that the letters from my current school's nursing program will be in my mailbox sometime next week. Perhaps that's even more exciting than who wins tonight's election! I mean, it influences my life like nothing else!

As you can see on the left, I have taken up the challenge of writing 50,000 words in one month. I just wish it could be non-fiction, because then I can go on and on, and I can probably write 50,000 a month! Fiction somehow seems harder. I had a start yesterday, and wrote about 300 words, and went blank. NOT a good sign. I should be averaging about 1667 words a day! Even if I only make it half way, or a third of the way, I'm going to be optimistic; it is indeed a challenge, and it is a good way to exercise my brain and writing skills in attempting to do something I've never done before. Some people go bungy jumping; I'll write a novel (even if it's a crappy one) in a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home