Thursday, October 23, 2003

I was trying to enjoy my mom's fantastic fabulous bi-bim-bop. Her talent for cooking is almost unnatural -- no food prepared by human could taste so brilliant. I told her today that she must have sold her soul to the devil for her cooking ability (in Korean) but it didn't get across too well. She responded with something about better to have sold it for the lottery or something. Anyways. it creates a genuine "melts in your mouth" feel. Right now, however, I am not able to bask in the superb ethereal delights of my lunch, because of an impostor. Well, not an imposter as much as a visitor -- but impostor is such a cool word to use. It's a very vibrant word!

Before I stray from the topic at hand, I have a visitor. He is black, and much larger than his peers. He makes my cat nervous. Frankly, he makes my whole family nervous because of his grandiose appearance. Enter, Mr. Fly. He's not one of those fruit-fly types, that are wimpy black dots with wings. He has character. His buzzing would scare an Afracanized killer bee. Read: Very Very loud. It makes my shoulders rise up to my ears, making my face cringe.

My brother has a minor phobia of flies. I think it was caused by the time we were chasing after a rather large fly (we were in elementary school... he must have been no older than 7). We hit it mid-swing, and he fell.

Do not read beyond this point if you are eating, have eaten recently, or plans to do so in near future.

The fly fell to the ground, and we gathered around him to take a closer look, to confirm his time of death. The fly twitched several times for what it seemed like hours, and the black skin of his back cracked open, and these white creatures began to ooze out of his back. I assume they were maggots, but it was very very odd. About 7-8 maggot-like white wormy creatures finally made an exodus out of the fly, which now looked as though the maggots were wearing a fly suit or something -- perhaps trying to disguise themselves as a fly. My brother and I were very surprised and frightened out of our minds, and just left them there. When we returned, the white creatures were gone -- vanished.

So that's my brother's phobia. I don't particularly enjoy the company of flies, but I can generally carry on with daily activities even in the presence of one. My brother cannot. He was napping when he heard the unmistakeable buzzing zoom by his nose. He grunted loudly, "is there a fly in here?" I answered, "the cat's on it!"

Enter Miss Kitty. My cat, Nabee, has the poise of what can only be explained by being of royal heritage. Possibly of a mixed breed, although I catagorized her as being a "snowshoe." Snowshoe is an actual breed of cats, characterized by blue eyes, dark brown tail and ears, a creamy cappucino body, and white feet. She's regal and brutally honest.

Her blue eyes are darting back and forth following the Mr. Fly. It won't be long before he is under her snow-white paw, buzzing for forgiveness. Nabee tolerates no intruders. She will terminate him mercilessly, as she frequently does many pestilent visitors. Mr. Fly should be thankful Nabee doesn't have wings -- that just extended the game time another half an hour. We'll have to see how long it will be before Nabee declares victory.

Never a dull moment around this household, I tell you!

Mr. Fly's portraits:
While it looks like he's inside some sort of cave, it's actually my ceiling. It's the only place Nabee can't attack... Here's Nabee, during her daily sun bathing:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home