Saturday, April 24, 2004

Cheaper By The Dozen, Not So Cheap

Normally, I don't watch kiddie family movies. Like about that princess who wants to have a normal life, or that president's daughter who wants to escape from the White House, or about some dogs who are finding their way home or something. It's just not my thing. I also don't do chick flicks, as you all know, although I have given in to my chickly urges now and then. So when I saw that this movie, Cheaper By The Dozen came out, I wouldn't have been too thrilled to watch it. So here's the segue that leads to a "but" or "however."

Steve Martin. I love that man. If I could choose my father, it would be Steve Martin. If I were to raise children, I would choose to be Mrs. Martin. I love that white-haired, nearly balding man. He's so funny, but underneath all that humor, you can tell that there's a real warm hearted human inside. So I watched the film. At this time, I would like to mention that I didn't not watch the film because Ashton Kutcher and Tom Welling are just about the cutest hotties in Hollywood. Although they are.

The film is just adorable. I don't know if I'm just really hormonal for some reason (gets my usually-stoic emotions in an uproar) but I was just craving for a warm, fuzzy, happy ending. And I got it. It was hilarious, I loved all dozen of the kids, as well as the parents. It made me want to buy a mansion with 13 rooms and get a dozen kids myself. Of course, there is no way I am going to spend a dozen years (at the minimum) popping out little rascals. I'd need a house staff. But somehow, there are amazing women who can do that, and then write a book. I guess I am not so amazing in that sense.

You know, some movies are great. Schindler's List, one of my favs of all time, is a great film. So is The Godfather. So is The Exorcist. But some movies truly let you unwind and just let you have a good time. It may not have the most original plot, or the most developed characters, but sometimes, you need to watch a movie for fun. You can't relax, when you're watching a movie about the holocaust. Sure, it is an important part of history that we all must remember, and learn the value of tolerance. However, if you just came home from a hectic workday and really need a reason to procrastinate from doing the laundry, you need something simple and classic. That's where this movie came in.

It's not something I'd buy. And that says a lot. I'm not one of those DVD rats, who buys and collects everything on disc, or heavens forbid, VCR tape. I'd buy Gone With The Wind. I'd buy the Exorcist (ooh, I mentioned it twice -- those keeping track: it is one of my favorite movies EVER). I wouldn't buy CBTD (that officially makes me LAZY). But I'd definitely watch it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home