Thursday, July 29, 2004

America Can Do Better and Help is on the Way

Click Here for the article.

As luck would have it, the only day I managed to get home just in time to watch The Simpsons, it isn't on. So it angered me to see John Kerry making an extremely long acceptance speech. He's officially the Democratic presidential candidate, it seems.

I sat down and had dinner (pork bulgogi -- oooooh~ I'm just having so much red meat these days!) and watched the thing, which was on every channel (I don't have cable). The speech was very moving. I loved the speech, except for a few parts.

Was the theme, "America Can Do Better" and "Help is on the Way?" Because that is what Kerry repeated over and over, and the spectators were holding up signs. I don't know. It doesn't seem very special -- I mean, you only get to run and get elected as president twice, and you want your presidency to be remembered as one of "help" being on the way? Weren't there other fancy slogans for other presidencies, like the New Fronteer and the New Deal and the Square Deal or something like that? I don't know. It made the US seem like we're all in a state of poverty and we need to be rescued. Oh yeah. Maybe I should use the word "we" since I don't belong here. I mean, I'm not part of y'all. But that's another story.

Another thing that bothered me was this. He mentioned in his speech that he is "not a man who wears his faith on his sleeve" (ok, the quote may be a bit off, but I'm quoting from memory) but he still spoke a great deal about the Christian god. Also, he ended the speech with god bless America, which is one of my all time pet peeves. You know, "In God we trust" and etc..

There is no god in the US. But you know, every president has got to be some goddamn WASP-y man. Recall that JFK's faith, namely the Catholic religion, caused a commotion because he wasn't Waspy. We all say that church and state are separate in the US, but only when it is convenient. Otherwise, we still slam the church and government together. I mean, didn't we just have some ruckus about removing the word 'god' from the pledge of allegiance? I honestly believe in installing good faith in the US and patriotrism to children, but making them recite the pledge of allegiance without telling them what it really means is just brain-washing. I was reciting the pledge of allegiance until I turned 20, until I wised up about what it actually was. I won't be reciting that thing until I get my citizenship (which then, I will only fake for the citizenship; afterward I won't be reciting it until they remove 'god' as 'god' has no business being in the pledge). By the way, if I hear one more reasoning that gay marriage should not be legalized because the Bible says it's evil/sinful/lewd -- I will honestly be kicking some ass big time. Can you say Con-stee-TOO-shun?

Also, I have been reading this. The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Bible. It's hilarious, very practical. Although probably not suitable for the pulpit or Sunday School, but think of it like a cliff notes version of the Bible that is pleasant to read (some of those cliff notes are tougher to read than the actual works -- take my word for it). I got through Genesis (first time EVER!) and now I am on Exodus. And this is great, because I've always wanted to finish the Bible (now I say that like I read the tome half-way through or something -- I read a few books, but not too many, but having attended church for many many years before I decided to call quits, I know my way around the book).

Y'all know I'm an atheist/agnostic/no preference/bordering Buddhist, but as a person who wants to study Western literature and wants to get the most out of it, I just have to study the Bible and know it well. I don't know if East of Eden by John Steinbeck (which is not part of Oprah's book club) would have been my favorite book had I not had the knowledge of the first sections of Genesis. Religious analogies and allegories occur abundantly in Western lit; there's just no way around it but to read it and know it. So I will.

Oops, by the way, I saw Hillary Clinton at the Kerry party, but didn't see Bill. Was he there? I'm sure, but it didn't seem like he was sitting near Hillary. Well, when Kerry mentioned health care, I saw her eyes twinkle! I am not a fan of her hubby, not because of repub or demi affiliations, but I honestly believe that a man with such little self-restraint can't be too healthy for a position with so much power, but that's not the point here. I love Hil. Can I call her Hil? Well, I hope that I can get my citizenship before she runs, because I'll want to vote for her! I know I know... I'll be voting without even knowing the facts and all, and voting blindly just by the sheer fact that she's a woman, which is very sexist, and she probably doesn't even want votes from a girl voting so idiotically -- I really have been having a streak of digressing! Nevermind what I was saying.

There's something wrong with my comments link. I hate it when crap go wrong with my blog! If you need to comment (I know I have offended various zealous Christians and Kerry fans (please don't martyr me -- I am neither a Repub or a Demi -- not trying to be some political pundit blog or anything, just commenting on the man's speech is all!), please do so with the second comments link, which is through Blogger. If you have blogger, you can log in; if not, leave a comment as anonymous, but please state within the comment who you are.

Ugh. I have an immense right shoulder pain. It's been there for the last few days, intensifying slowly, day by day, and now it is just unbearable. I'm going to try using the MAX™ Maximum Performance Massager that I bought for my mom last Mother's Day (or was it her birthday?) to see if that helps. Well, have a good night everyone, excuse me. I am going to go whimper in pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home