Saturday, February 28, 2004

Aging Gracefully

I was devouring the most recent issue of InStyle magazine, when I found the most handsome picture of who else, but Richard Gere. He had silvery white hair that screamed platinum. He wore the most darling spectacles, as well as a warm, sincere smile. He appeared to melt my "still a teenaged girl" heart faster than when I first saw him in Pretty Woman(1990). Mr. Gere, born in 1949, will turn 55 years old this year. How many people do you know, who looks as great as Richard Gere at 55? I personally can't say that I'll look half as good when I'm 35!

Today's focus is how people manage to age gracefully. I mean by that, to put it flatly frank, how do you look younger, no matter what your age is? Yes, today's topic is shallow. It's about the supercial, physical being, that I normally overlook. It's about sprouting zits just when I'm approaching the quarter-of-a-century mark, and finding a giant black head on my cheek. It's about the dark circles and bags under my eyes, and the impossible to iron wrinkles on the bridge of my nose. It's about my flabby arms that are slowly getting flabbier and old-lady-like by the minute. And who said it... that breasts, since the day they first emerged, are on a never-ending journey toward the feet, aided by gravity.

As an Asian, I am told that I look more youthful than my American counterparts. Generally darker than most Caucasians, there is significantly less sun damage. I don't know whether it is because being so yellow, it takes attention away from the wrinkles, but probably up to the age of 30, most Asian women look younger than their age. Perhaps it is because Asians are generally more petite. Most of us don't grow to be 5'8" with sexy J.Lo hips, or supple breasts. Our shoulders are narrow, and our height averages between 5' and 5'6" at best, and our hairs are dark by nature. We don't grow melons on our chests; our breasts are humble peaks. Looking more like a child in size and sexual development, we tend to look younger.

I think when an Asian woman slowly goes over that peak, which can be anywhere from 30 to late 30's, we age exponentially faster and faster, until we become the shriveled up raisin. Perhaps I am generalizing. But while I see many western women age like Diane Keaton, Asian women seem to shrivel up by her age. Why is that? I guess Vera Wang is somewhat an exception, but look at Martha Stewart! She's in her 60's (to my knowledge) and looks decades younger. She's beautiful and strong. She can carry her own in the court, as well as carry her own purse. Many Asians in their 60's can't tell if their cell phones are on or off. (I have at least one old man or lady a day, who comes in with a dead cell phone and they're complaining that it never rings. Hello! The screen is blank!)

Anyhoot, I am losing perspective again. Where was I? Oh yeah. When I age, I want to age beautifully. Like Jackie O, or Katherine Hepburn. Oh my goodness. Katherine Hepburn. A gorgeous woman all through her life! I don't want to age and look like the Dalai Lama with a wig. As much as I like the guy, I don't dig his look. No offense. It's about having stature -- standing tall, having confidence, looking great in a smile, and not losing the sparkle in my eyes. Actually, it is hard to see if the sparkle's still there -- I have squinty slanty Asian eyes. I can barely see the whites of my eyes! Maybe I'm not destined for great beauty. Oh well. Can't have it all now, can I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home